Murder In The Desert

They both have a defence though, which is the interesting point I found. Person A can say he never poisoned the man because he didn't drink it, and Person B can say he didn't kill the man because he saved him from drinking poison.

I'm no legal expert, but I think that they can both be convicted regardless, since the action of either one of them would lead to his death. (Especially if we design the scenario so that going back to town to resupply himself is not possible.) The second man, surely, cannot use this as a defence, since although he has prevented the victim from being poisoned, he has not given him any chance of actual survival.

I could be wrong, but even if I am wrong, they can definitely both be jailed for attempted murder. If you poison someone's entire supply of water and he dies before drinking it, you have still tried to kill him.

The second man, surely, cannot use this as a defence, since although he has prevented the victim from being poisoned, he has not given him any chance of actual survival.

But he could claim his act of murder was life-saving. By doing wrong, he saved the man's life. Can you murder a man and save his life in the same act?

Hence see my above post about misadventure. We can remove that possibility, though, by framing the question to occur a week out from town, so that he can't get back to town for supplies before dying.

Ahhh yes you are right... My skim reading comes back to bite me on the bum.

Dam! Thought I'd solved one of them Mensa puzzles there.

Out of interest, how long in prison should the guilty party get? If at all?

But he could claim his act of murder was life-saving. By doing wrong, he saved the man's life.

I contend that he has not. He's replaced an immediate death by poisoning for a slower death by thirst.

Sticking to the case where the explorer is on the outskirts of town and has ample opportunity to refill his water supply if only he knows it's empty, I still contend that the second man is guilty of murder; I would see that as no better than shooting someone in the head, and saying that it wasn't murder but suicide because the victim could have ducked to avoid the bullet.

I don't know if the law would agree with me on this, but that is my own opinion.

It's hypothetical, to make you think about good and bad. You don't get any points for pulling it apart with your common sense. :)

That was my fault more than his. I suggested making it a few days later to eliminate the possibility of claiming that it was misadventure. I see now that the whole point of the question is to ask, given that he could have refilled his water supply, has anybody committed murder or not? ...which means my suggestion was worse than pointless. :hihi:

Archived