Currys Customer Service is Apalling

On the flip side, I had excellent service from them last year.

I bought a new fridge, which they delivered. It had to go around the back of the house, which is no mean feat.

They unpacked it. Set it up for me. And then took all of the packaging away with them. All in a cheery and friendly way.

I'd never been a fan of Curry's up until then. I'd buy from them again.

Mind you, the nice men from John Lewis also went above and beyond the call of duty when they delivered my washing machine.

Funkyfreckly, I also hope your dishwasher gets delivered on Monday. Unlike you, I don't have a young family. My kids are teenagers and aren't too fussed about not having a TV. Then again, they have been spending more time at their friends house!!!

**** who is a Customer Services advisor assured me that my TV WILL be delivered back to me on the 10th February 2011. My response to him was "until that TV is back in my home and working correctly, anything coming out of a Curry's representative's mouth I will not believe". We will just have to wait and see.

unfortunately the guarantee you have is manufacturers guarantee and we are unable to exchange goods without authorisation code for certain manufacturers.

Coo that's interesting that you say that! And you work for Currys! Do you really believe that rubbish?

Understanding the Sale of Goods Act Your rights

Top tips

* Your claim is against the retailer who sold you a faulty item, not the manufacturer.

* If you want to reject something and get your money back, you must act quickly – normally within a few weeks.

* If you paid by credit card, you may be able to enforce your Sale of Goods Act rights against your credit card company as well as the retailer.

When you buy goods you enter into a contract with the seller of those goods. Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 goods must be:

* 'as described',

* 'of satisfactory quality', and

* 'fit for purpose' – this means both their everyday purpose, and also any specific purpose that you agreed with the seller (for example, if you specifically asked for a printer that would be compatible with your computer).

Goods sold must also match any sample you were shown in-store, or any description in a brochure.

Retailer or manufacturer

In most cases, your rights are against the retailer – the company that sold you the product – not the manufacturer, and so you must take any claim against the retailer. However, if you have bought something on hire purchase (HP), it is the HP company that is responsible.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/understanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/your-rights/

I'm rather shocked tbh that as a customer service person you don't know the above. Presumably you're trained to fob people off rather than respect their rights under the Act?

Last night (9th Feb 2011) Curry's gave me an estimated time of when my TV would be returned. They claim that it will be returned today (10th Feb 2011) between the hours of 12:15pm and 4:00 pm. Shall we take bets now to see if this really happens?

Let the clocks start ticking ............ Good Luck xx

my tv broke down on the 12 jan 2011 so i rang wat ever happens the service i pay £8.99 a month for. anyway they picked my tv up on the 14th jan and 17th got a phone call saying that tv was fixed and it would be returned on the 22nd jan i tuke a day of work i was given a time time 12-4pm it would be droped off no show so at 4.45 i rang up customer services an the person on other end of fone tryed getting hold of driving anyway they said driver gunna ring you with time of delivery no fone call so i rang up again at 8pm to be told the tv is not on the van. so we made another day for it to come friday 28th jan still no tv returned. and ive rang up everyday since to be told they dont no where the tv is. iam waiting for a manager to ring me so i can pick a new tv up from store. currys customer services are a waste of time they dont have clue wat they are doing no wonder they go though employees like i go though hot sunday dinners

So do I and you should always check goods before signing anything, unfortunately the guarantee you have is manufacturers guarantee and we are unable to exchange goods without authorisation code for certain manufacturers.

This is a completely incorrect and contrary to law.

I'm rather shocked tbh that as a customer service person you don't know the above. Presumably you're trained to fob people off rather than respect their rights under the Act?

Ah, you beat me to it ;) Still, the response does give you a good indication of the standard of service you can expect from Curry's.

Hence I wouldn't go near 'em with a barge pole!

It maybe that Currys internal processes to do with returning items to manufacturers sometimes require manufacturer authorisation, I can see that. But as others have said, that's Currys problem and not the consumers. Currys have, as the retailer, to accept back the faulty goods and sort it. Whether or not Currys secondary transaction with the manufacturer is "authorised" or not is no concern of the customer. And if Currys customer service guys are telling customers to the contrary, they'll find themselves in trouble at some point.

I've always felt Curry's are a little poor when it comes to customer service; and the response from one of their reps (not DL) on this thread, only goes to re-enforce how I feel.

Also, please remember that their complaints procedure, isn't there for your benefit. I feel you're best bet (with companies who have a poor track record in CS), is to know your legal consumer rights, and exercise those.

Best of luck funkyfreckle (and for what it's worth, I thought asking them to pop round and do your dishes, was class!).

Archived