Currys Customer Service is Apalling

Do you work in retail?

I have in the past.

because all items come with manufacturers warranty and while retailers have an obligation to their customers they still are obliged to follow manufacturers guidelines with regard to replacing that particular brand.

All of which is entirely irrelevant to any claim the customer may make against the retailer.

The retailer may be obliged to follow manufacturers guidelines, the customer is not.

I deal with this every day

With no regard for reality of the laws of the land, seemingly.

Denlin

Please check out this link

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

It describes the sale of goods act which I am afraid you seem to have some difficulty understanding, maybe as you work as a customer services rep it is something you should be aware of, please note key fact 4, and Question 6.

regards BBanzai

oh and yes i have worked in retail and in electricals, however the relevance of this is beyond me as the sale of GOODS act applys to GOODS and not just electricals

well i had an interesting last few minutes at work as a customer had been to the citizens advice centre and they have told he that the retailer must get a repair back to the customer in 10 days if it is under manufacturer warranty. i did try to tell him that nowhere on the act does it state this. he said are calling them a liar then, to which i replied yes. i await futher contact with them the next time i go to work, it will be interesting to say the least

Is that since the new law you seem well acquainted with came out and did you work in customer service relating to electrical goods?

The "new law" is the Sale of Goods Act, which was introduced in 1979, to stop retailers from fobbing off their customers by saying they needed to contact the manufacturer.

It doesn't matter a tuppenny dam what sort of agreement the retailer has with the manufacturer when it comes to faulty items, the customer's contract is with the retailer, who is legally obliged to replace or repair the item or provide a full refund.

well i had an interesting last few minutes at work as a customer had been to the citizens advice centre and they have told he that the retailer must get a repair back to the customer in 10 days if it is under manufacturer warranty. i did try to tell him that nowhere on the act does it state this. he said are calling them a liar then, to which i replied yes. i await futher contact with them the next time i go to work, it will be interesting to say the least

You need some more training in customer services. I would never say that to a customer and you are supposed to try and help them resolve situation, not antagonise them. What you should have been doing is offereing them correct repair route or calling repairers for them and I work for same company as you:roll:

The "new law" is the Sale of Goods Act, which was introduced in 1979, to stop retailers from fobbing off their customers by saying they needed to contact the manufacturer.

It doesn't matter a tuppenny dam what sort of agreement the retailer has with the manufacturer when it comes to faulty items, the customer's contract is with the retailer, who is legally obliged to replace or repair the item or provide a full refund.

Yes and we do but outside 28 days it is REPLACE OR REPAIR and if manufacturer insist that item be repaired and customer wants replacement we are caught between a rock and a hard place and resolving it is not that easy

Denlin

Please check out this link

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

It describes the sale of goods act which I am afraid you seem to have some difficulty understanding, maybe as you work as a customer services rep it is something you should be aware of, please note key fact 4, and Question 6.

regards BBanzai

oh and yes i have worked in retail and in electricals, however the relevance of this is beyond me as the sale of GOODS act applys to GOODS and not just electricals

read this then -this is from the act you told me to read, have you read and understood it?

If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

• If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

• After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.

Denlin

Yes I do understand it perfectly well thank you, you on the otherhand, as your post to Dozy indicates, do not!!

The time frame of 28 days is not mentioned in the Act in relation to refund but a "reasonable time"

I should also point out that the bullet points you highlighted in red have to be seen in context with the points you seem to have ignored, that in "general" goods have a six year "warranty" by the RETAILER and in the first six months the purchaser doesn't have to prove a fault, the retailer has to prove one doesn't exist.

I think it is worth pointing out that these are statutory rights only, and if retailers as an inducement to buy improve these, then the improved "warranty" now is in force, John Lewis springs to mind.

The reason I gave the link was to point you towards information regarding the Acts, informing you as many others have done that the "warranty" is between the retailer and the purchaser.

As a matter of interest are you familiar with European Law in this area that actually gives the consumer different rights, Aldi, is an interesting example they seem to be following the European system and automatically give a three year "warranty", and before you say it yes the European law includes the UK as well.

With respect I have to say again that your understanding of consumer rights as others have pointed out is flawed and maybe you should stop being so strident and vociferous because frankly you're not helping to improve Curry's reputation.

To end on a good "customer services" note I apologise if the reason for your insulting of my intelligence, was because you felt got at, but I was trying to provide information to clarify the situation.

regards BBanzai

Archived