Enterprise works revisited

Wendy - please forgive me if I'm wrong - but I think you're taking lazarus' posts the wrong way. In my original post I asked for information not only on tracing my grandads cutlery, but also about Enterprise Works and the cutlery trade in general. Both through his posts and the PM's we've exchanged lazarus has been more than helpful and given me a great deal of relevant information on something he knows a great deal about.

I'm grateful to everyone who's contributed to this thread, and have taken on all the suggestions, as I need all the help I can get.

I'm finding the problem is that as there were obviously so many cutlery manufacturers, whether outworkers or traders in their own right, my grandad was a small fish in a big pond, so to speak, and very difficult to trace.

As I've said before though - I'll keep trying. :)

Hi, Has anyone come across cutlery with the Trademark Edley Bros. Sheffield. My Gt Grandfather and Granfather were Silver Comb manufacturers, later Tool & Saw maufacturers. They then went on to Cutlery. They Patented the Yureeda Knife Sharpeners. Pretoria Works Sidney St. I believe its a nightclub now. I recently obtained a Cake Knife & Cheese Knife which they had patented with the trademark on them. Interested to know if anyone has come across any items bearing the Edley Bros trademark. I understand they had places on Arundel St, [Potter St, this was Chumley & Edley] Shoreham St. There are a couple of other addresses in the directories I don't remember. They existed in the 1800s and into the 1900s, my Grandfather died 1933, his brother continued in business. What happened after that ??. Any clues out there?

I can remember the name EDLEY BROTHERS in the seventies they were at No 87/91 Sidney St and as you say there is a night club there. A great pity that a very good manufacturer went.It could be that somebody may still own the trade mark, one name does spring to mind and that is British Silverware in Windsor St down Attercliffe, it does go under the other name of the Solpro Group. When I worked for them they had lots of old trade marks of companys long gone.

Hey - who's hi-jacked my thread? :suspect::D

Hello gales, I can certainly understand the frustration of trying to find information when the trail goes cold.

Many people on here have offered some great suggestions which you may find useful. If you are in Sheffield try the Local History section at the library, or you could also email Sheffield Archives at archives@sheffield.gov.uk ( there's a wait of 2-4 weeks there) or the assay office on enquiries@assayoffice.co.uk.

I wish you well in your search. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by levans44

Sorry to send this message but I need to discuss an early post regarding Cuneo ice cream - please reply

Hello levans44, I see your new so welcome to the forum. I'm sorry I don't understand your question. Are you trying to speak to someone in particular? If so you need to make 5 posts on the forum and then you can send a PM - private message- by clicking on the PM button under the name of the required person. Hope that helps.

Lazarus :wave: As ever - a mine of information!

• 1 month later...

Today is my first visit to Sheffield Forum, I came across it by chance. I read with interest the request for info about Dearden & Richmond, a company I knew well, also the owner Harry Turton. We actually did some work for them. My father rented several workshops at Enterprise Works, a typical Sheffield tenement factory, situated at the corner of St. Mary's Road & Shoreham Street. Having started working for my dad in 1939, he was a little mester at the time, (also called Herbert) This was in a grinding wheel driven by a gas engine. I then joined the Royal Navy in October 1943. On demob in 1947 dad had moved to Enterprise Works and I rejoined him there. By then he was a cutlery manufacturer in a small way, making cutlery and trade knives for other manufacturers who put their own names on them.

The factory was owned by the Potter Brothers, Cyril & Percy, two larger than life characters who ran a cutlery manufacturing company, I think it was called Bunting Langdon (having just turned 80 the old memory is not so good) FGF Tools owned by Gordon Frawlish, also rented premises there.

Hello littlemester and welcome to the forum.

I am Harry Turton's grand-daughter and originally posted the thread you refer to.

Firstly may I say a big thank you for joining the forum to respond to my request for information, even more humbling knowing you are 80 years old!

Secondly, if you are who I think, then I would like to say I very much enjoyed Back to the Grindstone which gave me a huge insight into the lifestyle and working conditions during my grandad's time.

I never knew my grandad and have so many questions to ask you about him and his company - you may wish you'd never responded :heyhey: - but this will probably have to be done 'off-thread'

If I PM you my email address would you answer some questions for me?

Look forward to hearing from you

Mystique.

Oh and don't be surprised if our threads get merged - this happens when 2 thread are about the same topic.