Help where do I start

Yes I joined hitched the other day still getting alittle used to it. :)

We are hoping to get married in Aug 2012. We are aware reguarding the church policies etc and understand we have to attend etc. Its the reception bit we are totally stuck on at the moment. I think we will need it for about 150 people and need it near abbeydale/bannerdale as the church is up that way. We also want a nice venue (kenwood hall maybe) but we believe this is thousands and realistically we dont have that.

I dont have my mother living in Sheffield so Im kind of on my own with things!

Do we send these save the date cards to everyone? also where can we get these from?

Hitched is VERY confusing!

I think, you'd be in a good position, to visit church etc and get your date finalised for the church, before going to other venues. There wouldnt be any point, in booking the venue and then the church saying 'cant do that date', your venue needs to work around the church service ideally.

Have you any close friends who could step into mums role? Or, aunties/cousins? My mum isnt maternal... she doesnt agree with marriage. So my mother-in-law (bizzarly!) has stepped in for me.

Whoever youre inviting to the wedding itself, and evening guests. So the whole party. We did anyway! Most people, immediate family, we didnt bother sending them one as they knew they'd better be available on that date, or else :lol: You can buy them from eBay. But beware, ask for a 'copy' first, most sellers will happily for the cost of postage send out one or two different types (1 seller sent me, invitation, save the date, placecard, thank you card and another cant remember, for 1.50 but it was disgusting quality! another charged 3pounds, and I went with them. Although, both wouldnt put our names on, it was a 'Mr and Mrs Smith' type) x

EDIT: forgot to say, we ended up paying 45pounds for, 100 save the date, 75 invitations, 100 thank you prints, 75 menu prints, 75 RSVP cards, 75 envelopes [not printed] and 150 placecards (120 printed, 30 blanks so we can write them out if needed) Although even though ive ordered them, and got them - ive started making my own! Dont know why, wanted that extra detail but if theyre not all made (not save the date/invis, as these have gone) but placecards etc then i'll use the prints we bought.

Well, ive just checked my email and if we change the date by 2 weeks then we maybe able to get a fantastic deal and at a price we could possibly afford so im feeling ok at the moment. Ive just emailed them back to see if they have the date available :) This is starting to get a little exciting but at the moment im not hoping too much. its still alot of money so we have to be realistic as well really.

Ive never heard of the save the date things, I think they are a good idea. We might make ours to save us some money and to help keep me alittle calm lol. It will also add the personal touch, even though Im not very good at making things.

My mother in law to be im sure will help as much as she can but I dont want to put all my stress on her. Plus shes quite busy. Im hoping my maid of honour will be able to be available often to help if not im on my own :( but at the moment im :) after the hope of the email. Ive just got to wait for tomorrows reply to say they dont have the date :(

EDIT: Also how much is it roughly for a wedding cake? By roughly I mean on average.

Well, ive just checked my email and if we change the date by 2 weeks then we maybe able to get a fantastic deal and at a price we could possibly afford so im feeling ok at the moment. Ive just emailed them back to see if they have the date available :) This is starting to get a little exciting but at the moment im not hoping too much. its still alot of money so we have to be realistic as well really. I really hope you get what you want, money is such a pain in the rear sometimes!

Ive never heard of the save the date things, I think they are a good idea. We might make ours to save us some money and to help keep me alittle calm lol. It will also add the personal touch, even though Im not very good at making things. If you go down that route, visit hobbycraft etc for some decent quality paper/cards, and take a trip to the shop above castle markets. If you get in the lift inside, get off at the gallery, and theres only really one way you can go, used to be a place there where you apply for loans I think and a cafe, its past them round the corner, looks shut but it wont be most days, think thurs and sun its closed. Its really handy and cheap!

My mother in law to be im sure will help as much as she can but I dont want to put all my stress on her. Plus shes quite busy. Im hoping my maid of honour will be able to be available often to help if not im on my own :( but at the moment im :) after the hope of the email. Ive just got to wait for tomorrows reply to say they dont have the date :(Theres no harm is asking them, they both might be chuffed to bits youve asked. Let us know if you get the date you wanted x

EDIT: Also how much is it roughly for a wedding cake? By roughly I mean on average.That depends on what you want. If you want to follow the 'cupcake' thing, you can make that as cheap as you need, by buying an apex stand (make sure its 5mm+ thick) from eBay, then gettinga cake maker to make you so many, usually find them at 6 for a fiver ish. You can have a small 'cutting cake' on the top tier, about 6x6inch or something. Or are you wanting to go down the route of a 2/3tier fruit/sponge cake? If you put an add in the job section here a few cakemakers will give you an average quote. Ours is a 10tier cupcake, but ours are doubling into favours too, their names iced on with a thank you note attached. We also got a cutting cake thats around a 4inch circle, its teeny! But its what WE want, cause its 'pretend' icing and underneath its a real strawberry tart with cream. Thats cost us, 25pound for stand (re-sellable when we've used it, on eBay used ones fetching 18-30). Paying 90pounds for 100 cupcakes + the topper.

Hope this helps x

Hope this helps x

Thank you :) We are wanting a 3 tier cake. Im letting my OH pick the design etc of this. I do know that it will probably all be sponge as we dont like fruit cake. I will put an add in the job section for a quote. Thanks!

I will get the stuff from a craft shop if we decide to make our own invites. Do we need our colour scheme on them or could they be anything?

They havent emailed me back yet, so Ive just forwarded the email again. I know its only 1020am but I was kinda hoping Id be the first reply at 9am (I know this is wishful thinking) so I just sent it again just to give them a gentle 'reminder' we would like this date.

The money issue, we are going to try and sell afew bits that we have also that is no longer to use to us to help us save alittle more (every little helps).

When are you planning on getting married? How much budget did you set yourself?

We are going to be needing 2 cars that seats 8 people and a car for me. are limos the only cars to seat 8?

Thank you :) We are wanting a 3 tier cake. Im letting my OH pick the design etc of this. I do know that it will probably all be sponge as we dont like fruit cake. I will put an add in the job section for a quote. Thanks!

I will get the stuff from a craft shop if we decide to make our own invites. Do we need our colour scheme on them or could they be anything?

They havent emailed me back yet, so Ive just forwarded the email again. I know its only 1020am but I was kinda hoping Id be the first reply at 9am (I know this is wishful thinking) so I just sent it again just to give them a gentle 'reminder' we would like this date.

The money issue, we are going to try and sell afew bits that we have also that is no longer to use to us to help us save alittle more (every little helps).

When are you planning on getting married? How much budget did you set yourself?

We are going to be needing 2 cars that seats 8 people and a car for me. are limos the only cars to seat 8?

Just my own recommendation - fabcakes on here makes a sponge to die for! I put my diet off for 2 week so I could finish the HUGE cake she made me :love: It was a jam and cream sponge, even the not so nice looking bogey green icing was delish :lol: (it had to be that colour, for grass - dont ask!)

You dont have to follow your colour scheme, we used cream paper/card, with a deep purple pattern and black and silver writing (silver for 'Mr and Mrs Nobody' then black saying 'are inviting you to their wedding at' then silver with 'A Random Place In S70' [obviously doesnt say that but theres people on here who stalk me and I dont want them knowing anything lol]) Our scheme is anything between lilac (chair sashes) to deep purple (girls shoes). So its really up to you.

I hope they get back to you soon! We saved our butts off then a lovely remember of the family come and dropped us a lump sum. Its booked later this year, I had in mind everything was finalised but its not arghhh so been spending ages trying to get the last bits done. We set it at 5k. But the family member gave us double that so its ending up around 15k, but that includes everything, down to 10 rooms for family, cars to pick up various people around south yorkshire, the honeymoon.... absolutly everything.

We've around 50 people to transport. All our day is in one place, and its not easy to access for some people so we've got 2 minibuses to pick up/drop off. Nothing brilliant but im not paying hundreds lol! I think you can find cars that hold 8 but i'd be fearing they look like funeral cars.

M&S do a lovely line in wedding cakes. My sis had theirs and they were lovely, they do slicing bars too. I think they only need a few weeks notice, which is done online I believe, and you choose which store to pick up from (I believe).

I'll be have a 1 tier from them, and my sis has offered to do the half sized cakes and cupcakes for me. So I have been looking at making my own cupcake wrappers, and there is plenty of free templates for them on the web, also you could use doilies to make the wrappers. There's info on how to cut them too, and for a wedding they are perfect :)

We are getting married at Bradfield Church & then having an evening do afterwards at Kenwood Hall in Nov and it's not costing anything near £15k - they have some really good packages for full day do's too if you have a look on their website.

I'd recommend calling in at your chosen church and checking they have your date and find out what you have to fulfil to meet the criteria to marry their and then call round to Kenwood Hall. I think you will find if they have your date free they will be quite accommodating on trying to meet your budget to secure a date.

Then when you know what your church and venue are going to cost you can see what money you have left to spend and then look where you can save.

EG, Iv had my invitations printed by vistaprint (designed them myself as postcards to match my scheme) and then spent a long time looking for a free just pay for postage code so £200 invitations (100 day/ 100 evening) have cost about £11 :0), then iv just spruced them up with diamanté and sparkly envelopes and paper liners. Quite pleased with myself I am!!

And then from that if there is something specific you require - you will find it here!

Oh & congratulations!! xx

Archived