Home security grilles

South Yorkshire Police offer advice on security issues (depending on what advice you are looking for):

http://www.southyorks.police.uk/adviceonsafety/crimereduction

I'm sure given the contents of this leaflet, linked from their site they must have an idea of someone who can fit things:

http://www.securedbydesign.com/pdfs/yourhome.pdf

A friend of mine paid to have security grills fitted to his doors & windows, but he was eventually forced to remove them, by Sheffield City Council, as they were more of a hindrance in the event of a fire or other serious emergency, IE the Ambulance/Firemen etc wanting to gain access.

A friend of mine paid to have security grills fitted to his doors & windows, but he was eventually forced to remove them, by Sheffield City Council, as they were more of a hindrance in the event of a fire or other serious emergency, IE the Ambulance/Firemen etc wanting to gain access.

Thanks for this hotrock. Very interesting about your mate's experience. I can understand where they are coming from if windows have grilles too but all I'm thinking about is a grille for her front door so she can lock it when she goes out. It wouldn't need to be locked whilst she was the house. As my mum's in a Council rented house I'd have to get SCC's permission anyway and if they forced your mate to remove it then looks like its a no-go anyway.

No idea what's going to happen if my sister isn't able to get to mum's anymore! Such a worry!

just read this

Ashton Alarms in sheffield

http://www.ashtonalarms.co.uk/

very good company, supply and fit grilles as well as alarms

ps sorry to hear about her probs, burglars should be legitimate targets for pain, ie shotgun alarms and nail gun attacks, that might deter them. scum

Thanks for this info ChrisT70, much appreciated. I will contact this company and see if they can help.

luckily you can pretty much do what the hell you want in your own private home. :) some of the security grilles are very smart, but pricey.

I can remember on Hyde Park flats several of the doors to flats had metal iron gates over them with substantial looking padlocks. They ranged from the fancy wrought iron look to the western jail cell door idea.

The office units near me have metal grill shutters that concertina across on the inside and so rather than residential design idea's maybe looking at stuff designed for business

Archived