Sponsored Activities for Charity

Anyone ever done anything sponsored for charity? Like bungee jump, sky dive, abseil or similar? Is it a requirement of doing the activity for charity that you pay your own costs or do these come out of the money raised for the charity?

I've seen discussions were people are applauding someone for doing something brave for charity, when actually they are doing something they want to do and getting it paid for by doing it for charity. Surely that isn't very ethical?

So are most people who do a "scary" activity for charity actually doing it out of generosity and kindness or to get to do something for free that would normally cost a lot of money?

Obviously it is nice that the charity does get some money that they wouldn't otherwise get but surely the person raising the money should as a minimum cover the actual cost of the activity they are doing. I'm sure lots of people do cover their own costs but I bet there are plenty who see it as a free way of doing something fun.

Anyone ever done anything sponsored for charity? Like bungee jump, sky dive, abseil or similar? Is it a requirement of doing the activity for charity that you pay your own costs or do these come out of the money raised for the charity?

I've seen discussions were people are applauding someone for doing something brave for charity, when actually they are doing something they want to do and getting it paid for by doing it for charity. Surely that isn't very ethical?

So are most people who do a "scary" activity for charity actually doing it out of generosity and kindness or to get to do something for free that would normally cost a lot of money?

Obviously it is nice that the charity does get some money that they wouldn't otherwise get but surely the person raising the money should as a minimum cover the actual cost of the activity they are doing. I'm sure lots of people do cover their own costs but I bet there are plenty who see it as a free way of doing something fun.

I thought I would respond to this as this is something I have experience of.

I have done a sky dive and will be climbing Kilimanjaro for charity. Personally, I cover the expenses of the events/trips myself, out of my own pocket. I feel it's only fair that way as then the charity get all of the money raised.

If this is something that bothers you or anyone else, you could always donate via a justgiving site and you be reassured to know that the entire donation goes direct to the charity :)

Hi, I've done quite a few sponsored activities for charity and I agree I believe the costs should be covered yourself. People often aren't so generous if they know you're using a large chunk of the money to cover costs either, and understandably.

In the near future I'm going to work with a charity in Tanzania, I have paid for the flights and put aside all my living expenses for this trip out of my own money and I am currently raising money FOR the charity.

Hi, I've done quite a few sponsored activities for charity and I agree I believe the costs should be covered yourself. People often aren't so generous if they know you're using a large chunk of the money to cover costs either, and understandably.

In the near future I'm going to work with a charity in Tanzania, I have paid for the flights and put aside all my living expenses for this trip out of my own money and I am currently raising money FOR the charity.

That is the sort of thing that is done genuinely to help other people. I think it tends to be the people who are not normally charitable who might see a charity sky dive (or similar) as a relatively easy way of getting it for free.

That is the sort of thing that is done genuinely to help other people. I think it tends to be the people who are not normally charitable who might see a charity sky dive (or similar) as an relatively easy way of getting it for free.

And there are a lot of those kind of people around :suspect::D

If this is something that bothers you or anyone else, you could always donate via a justgiving site and you be reassured to know that the entire donation goes direct to the charity :)

That is what I have seen people do in the past. It must annoy people who are doing something genuinely charitable when others seem to do it to benefit themselves first and the charity second.

As much as some of the sponsorship money may go towards costs, some will go to the charity. Which would probably be money the charity wouldn't have received without the person doing the jump etc.

Of course the ideal would be that all the cash went to the charity, but providers of activities can't (I assume) afford to give away these experiences/subsidise them by much, the person doing the activity may not be able to afford to pay for the activity either for charity or just to do it.

Better the extra cash goes to the charity than none at all if no-one sponsored because they felt it was just an excuse for someone to get a free parachute jump etc..

That is what I have seen people do in the past. It must annoy people who are doing something genuinely charitable when others seem to do it to benefit themselves first and the charity second.

True. It does get annoying when you are trying to do something worthwhile, only to be questioned and/or doubted. It kind of goes against the spirit of donating.

Wouldn't the charity be able to see what money came through whose account on JustGiving?

If so it renders that argument null and void in the case of events organised by the charity in the first place.

As much as some of the sponsorship money may go towards costs, some will go to the charity. Which would probably be money the charity wouldn't have received without the person doing the jump etc.

Of course the ideal would be that all the cash went to the charity, but providers of activities can't (I assume) afford to give away these experiences/subsidise them by much, the person doing the activity may not be able to afford to pay for the activity either for charity or just to do it.

Better the extra cash goes to the charity than none at all if no-one sponsored because they felt it was just an excuse for someone to get a free parachute jump etc..

The thing that got me thinking about this was where do you draw the line. Can you do anything and get people to pay for it if you donate anything over the cost of doing it to charity. Obviously you still have to get people to donate but plenty of people feel guilty once the hear the word "charity" if they don't give something.

Personally I feel someone doing a fun activity shouldn't be a reason to be sponsored for charity. Why not just raise money for the charity and send it directly to them without spending money on an activity for yourself.

This doesn't apply if you are doing something massive were it is big enough to actually raise awareness for a charity, such as climbing a huge mountain. The same applies if you are going to be actually volunteering abroad on behalf of a charity.

So, anyway... I'm doing this sponsored holiday to Spain for charity. Every penny I earn over the cost of the holiday will be donated to charity. Give Now! :hihi:

Archived