Sponsored Activities for Charity

Agent Orange and I did the skydive together.

It was really tough! We were both terrified. We paid for our own jumps and yes I had to save to be able to afford it but I did sacrifice because it was something I wanted to do.

Personally I disagree with sponsorship paying for the experience itself. Not just for the charities sake but for the sake of people giving the money. When I give I want to know all the money goes to the charity, because I dont have a huge amount of spare cash to throw around.

You could do something high profile and free if you put your mind to it.

That is exactly what I thought most people's opinion would be, especially those who have worked hard to raise money for charity themselves.

It's clear what you think.

Maybe you can tell me?

Instead of imposing your opinions on everyone else, why not avoid sponsoring people and instead, give your money straight to charity. Everyone else will make their own mind up and decide what they feel is right.

I'm giving an opinion. That is all, and if you took a second to try and understand it you would see it isn't what you think it is. Maybe try reading this thread from the start again and actually look at what I put.

Not that is relevant but some years I have given over 10% of my income to charity. Your response makes me feel then need to defend myself.

Agent Orange and I did the skydive together.

It was really tough! We were both terrified. We paid for our own jumps and yes I had to save to be able to afford it but I did sacrifice because it was something I wanted to do.

Personally I disagree with sponsorship paying for the experience itself. Not just for the charities sake but for the sake of people giving the money. When I give I want to know all the money goes to the charity, because I dont have a huge amount of spare cash to throw around.

You could do something high profile and free if you put your mind to it.

Yes, I recall how hard it was. It was worth it though :)

I, too, agree that events should be paid for out of your own pocket. I don't think I have done an event yet that I haven't contributed the entire amount. I feel this kind of sweeping generalisation is quite damaging towards people like me, who post their events on here in the hope of raising money.

You are right on the high profile thing too. I did the 24 hour walk, which was free, and also was high profile. Suppose it depends whether you have time to create and advertise an event of that magnitude.

Maybe you can tell me?

You think that everyone who does an organised challenge is doing it for the sake of a free holiday and fun or whatever.

I'm giving an opinion. That is all, and if you took a second to try and understand it you would see it isn't what you think it is. Maybe try reading this thread from the start again and actually look at what I put.

Yes, you are entitled to an opinion without being patronising. I understand exactly where you are coming from.

Not that is relevant but some years I have given over 10% of my income to charity. Your response makes me feel then need to defend myself.

That's ok, because your thread makes me feel like I need to defend myself.

You think that everyone who does an organised challenge is doing it for the sake of a free holiday and fun or whatever.

I can see why there is a misunderstanding now, because I don't. I never said I did, you have assumed because of the nature of the topic.

I have said many many times the exact opposite of that on this thread. I have massive respect for anyone who does a genuine challenge for charity. My only concern is that the exposure for the charity or the amount of money raised should be much much bigger than the amount of money donated that gets spend on doing the activity.

It has become acceptable for this not to be the case and as long as there is a minimal donation to the charity you can get people to pay for a sky dive, for example.

Archived