The Singing Nun

Treatment

Who else can remember her ?

For some reason - not alcohol related, I woke up singing Dominique this morning.

I remember her,used to sing it all the time when i was little. Sadly cannot recall all the words now.

Fair enough, I suppose that if you are French or Belgian it is quite acceptable.

Not being sarcastic, just saying that when it was "popular" we used to sing something which resembled the words in French so, if I was asked the lyrics now I wouldn't have a clue because I never knew them in the first place.

"Dominique, nique, nique, Over the land he plods along, And sings a little song. Never asking for reward, He just talks about the Lord, He just talks about the Lord."

English Words above - just out of curiosity I looked her up on the 'net (how sad is that?)

What a sad life she had...all the money she 'earned' from the hit was either taken by the record producers or donated to her convent (she had taken a vow of poverty)

She left the convent to run a school for autistic children - the Belgian government came after her for all the back taxes they claimed she earned from the royalties. Despite her never earning a penny from the record they still hounded her and she committed suicide in 1985

ne

"Dominique, nique, nique, Over the land he plods along, And sings a little song. Never asking for reward, He just talks about the Lord, He just talks about the Lord."

English Words above - just out of curiosity I looked her up on the 'net (how sad is that?)

What a sad life she had...all the money she 'earned' from the hit was either taken by the record producers or donated to her convent (she had taken a vow of poverty)

She left the convent to run a school for autistic children - the Belgian government came after her for all the back taxes they claimed she earned from the royalties. Despite her never earning a penny from the record they still hounded her and she committed suicide in 1985

Never knew that. How very sad.

Nice lyrics, sad story. :(

Beats old Sting's ''Da doo doo, da da dada.''

Nice lyrics, sad story. :(

Beats old Sting's ''Da doo doo, da da dada.''

it's meaningless, I know that's true!

Lol

On a more serious note, it was a very sad end.

Jeanine Deckers (17 October 1933(1933-10-17) – 29 March 1985(1985-03-29)), known in English as The Singing Nun, was a Belgian nun, and a member (as Sister Luc Gabriel) of the Dominican Fichermont Convent in Belgium. She became internationally famous in 1963 as Sœur Sourire (Sister Smile) when she scored a hit with the song "Dominique". In the English-language world, she is credited on her records as "The Singing Nun".

the "sister with a smile", what a sad monicker considering her sad end!

Archived