A Physics Brainteaser

nomme

A helium filled balloon is tethered inside a car such that it floats

at the top of a piece of string, without touching the car's ceiling.

All windows are shut and the car is driving along at a steady pace.

The driver suddenly brakes to a stop.

Relative to the car, does the balloon

a) move forwards,

b) move backwards,

c) stay in the same position

as the car decelerates?

....and why?

Nomme

None of the above - it would be deflated on the floor, as, being the big kid that I am, I would have inhaled the helium for a moment of amusement caused by the temporary high pitch of my voice, long before the journey even started.

I'm even sat here laughing at the thought of it, getting strange looks from others in the office.

I would say A.

Why?

The balloon has very little mass thus very little inertia so the car coming to a sudden halt wouldn't affect the balloons motion (relative to the car) much at all.

However the balloon is tethered by a piece of string which has mass, therefore inertia so when the driver suddenly brakes to a stop the string moves forward pulling the balloon with it.

:confused:

C: Stay in the same position. The air inside the car is not moving. The balloon is not attached or touching anything so therefore cannot be affected by the movement of the vehicle or any outside forces like the wind. It cannot experience g-force as it is not in contact with any part of the car.

Thats my theory and I'm sticking to it. Probably wrong but I did think it through. I feel like I'm back at school.

Archived