Shoebox appeals

cup half empty then:roll:

i like the idea as i dont like giving cash, as that ends up helping buy a charity directors car or an ak47. :D

I don't like the idea, either, of my funding support, towards someone needy, enabling a charity director to purchase AK 47s, or a jewel-encrusted Daimler...

I do give monies;- a monthly DD to one specific charity, and I give of my time, resources, and what money I can afford to another couple of charities I also give alms for Ramadhan as I cannot take part in the month's fast due to illness.. My giving is year-round, as I want to ensure the needy are fed throughout the year, and not just for Xmas.

Perhaps, but "We'll send you food to eat, but only in December" isn't a great response to someone starving, is it?

But it's not food is it? It's gifts - some practical like soap and toothpaste etc. and some little toys and maybe sweets for the children. Samaritians Purse is *just* for individual children. I noticed the other organisation has shoeboxes for the whole family. Hard to know how you'd fit enough gifts etc. into a shoebox for a family.

But it's not food is it? It's gifts - some practical like soap and toothpaste etc. and some little toys and maybe sweets for the children. Samaritians Purse is *just* for individual children. I noticed the other organisation has shoeboxes for the whole family. Hard to know how you'd fit enough gifts etc. into a shoebox for a family.

i tried it today £17 box well full

There were definitely allegations, about three or four years ago,(possibly a little earlier) that "heavy" Christian "propaganda" was being put into the gift boxes, between the donors bringing the boxes to the distribution centres, and the boxes being handed out to the recipients. (much to the consternation of some of the donors)

It was Samaritan's Purse - a shoebox project that I (and a lot of colleagues) supported at work, not realising that the organisation was using the boxes to spread their version of Christianity.

The organisation mentioned by the OP is also Christian, though it claims it doesn't use the charity to spread religion.

Personally, I won't donate to or support any charity that is faith-based.

Where I live we have been doing this since about 1988, when laddo and his wife were shot, rather insensitively, on Christmas Day.

We all fill the shoe boxes with tinned scoff, shaving tackle etc., and a lad who has an artic takes it to the same area.

I don't think that he does it any more.

Actually back when I was supporting the shoebox campaign, we were asked to put dried food in the box, too, things like packets of rice, and other permissible staples to feed the kids and their families.

Archived