Meals our mothers cooked in the old days

Never tried Chitterling or bag but Tripe I love though I've never had it cooked.

Down the Fish market Saturday morning get a pound of Tripe and some burnt oven bottom bread cakes.

Wash it put it in a dish put a bit of salt, plenty of Pepper and loads of vinegar on it then get stuck in with a couple of Buttered Bread cakes and a big pint pot of tea.....Magic

For some strange reason it always seems to taste better if I eat it while standing up in the kitchen as well....:confused:

Never tried Chitterling or bag but Tripe I love though I've never had it cooked.

Down the Fish market Saturday morning get a pound of Tripe and some burnt oven bottom bread cakes.

Wash it put it in a dish put a bit of salt, plenty of Pepper and loads of vinegar on it then get stuck in with a couple of Buttered Bread cakes and a big pint pot of tea.....Magic

For some strange reason it always seems to taste better if I eat it while standing up in the kitchen as well....:confused:

I used to like the Tripe in those tiny saucers in that market.

Condensed milk sandwiches;Bread and butter and sugar sandwiches also bread and same;nowt on one side the same ontother.We were poor we thought knives and forks were jewellery.When the man went round the street shouting[swill-Swill]collecting food scraps Ma would send me out to say [ One bucket please].If you told em now;they wouldnt believe you.

Yeah, my mums still does this - crack an egg on a plate then put cheese round the edge and bang in the oven til the eggs cooked and the cheese is melted!!! MMmmmmmmmm Delish :)

Another way was to fill a bowl with shredded or grated cheese, make a hole in the middle and break an egg in it, cook in the oven the same, all them calories Yeeeeeeha!

My Mum was a fantastic old fashioned cook. One thing she used to make that I doubt you would get now was braised heart. She would cook it in a stockpot full of gravy and veg for hours until it was sooo tender. They were only small so we would get one each so I'm guessing they would have been calf hearts. They were delicious with mash .

And mentioning Oxtail. I cooked it for the first time this week. OMG was it fantastic! but was really surprised how expensive it was but will defiantly do it again.

Archived