Meals our mothers cooked in the old days

I remember helping to skin an ox tongue or two after it had been boiled before it was pressed,cow heal and leg beef was pressed in the same way and tasted like potted beef but you knew what was in it. Breast of lamb, boned out and rolled with stuffing in and roasted, Brisket was rolled tight and roasted left to go cold and sliced for sanwiches. We allways had bread and butter with tinned fruit and carnation milk on sunday tea time.

Does anyone remember tinned cream that you had to shake to thicken it before opening?.

Yes I do I think it was plumrose me and my grandad used to have a pint of jelly and a tin of cream each for tea on Sunday

I remember helping to skin an ox tongue or two after it had been boiled before it was pressed,cow heal and leg beef was pressed in the same way and tasted like potted beef but you knew what was in it. Breast of lamb, boned out and rolled with stuffing in and roasted, Brisket was rolled tight and roasted left to go cold and sliced for sanwiches. We allways had bread and butter with tinned fruit and carnation milk on sunday tea time.

Does anyone remember tinned cream that you had to shake to thicken it before opening?.

Was it Fussels? White tin with a blue butterfly on the label? We used to have this for Sunday tea ,usually on mandarin oranges or tinned peaches. We always used to have pretend picnics for Sunday tea. my mum would lay out the table cloth on the floor an we would sit on it eating our boiled ham sandwiches and fruit and cream to follow, pretending to be out in the country. I'll never forget a mate of Dads popping round unexpectedly and looking at us "gone out" as we sat picnicking in the front room :hihi:

Condensed milk sandwiches;Bread and butter and sugar sandwiches also bread and same;nowt on one side the same ontother.We were poor we thought knives and forks were jewellery.When the man went round the street shouting[swill-Swill]collecting food scraps Ma would send me out to say [ One bucket please].If you told em now;they wouldnt believe you.

Loved condensed milk on bread.still love it in tea.bread and lard with salt on was another snack.

Chickling and bag,my mum used to get it out of castle market,think it consisted of pigs intestine and the bladder,smelled bloomin awfull!

But her oxtail stew was legendary,by gum my mouth waters just thinking about it,she made a gorgeous lentil stew with pork hock too,yummy both of em!

Archived