Meals our mothers cooked in the old days

My mother cooked tripe and onions in milk, but I could never eat it. :gag: We also had something called stovies, basically onions fried slowly til they go dark brown then potatoes and water added and cooked til soft. Always eaten with corned beef. I might try making them again, cheap, easy and tasty.

She also baked every week, and made lemon curd. My auntie always made jam, and apple jelly. I think we ate well in the 1950s, good home cooking, although a pudding was a rare treat in our house. :o

Not much to add but just to agree with whats gone before

Hash

Bubble and Squeak on a Monday with leftovers from Sundays roast

Oxtail - always mean to do this myself but never seem to get round to it

Meat and Potato Pie - one of my regrets is never getting the recipe from my Mum before she passed away

Scallops (Sliced potatoes not the shellfish) with a tin of tomatoes on fried bread - my granddads favourite tea on a Friday night - bath time for me in the tin bath in front of the fire and then sharing granddads tea - I can only have been around 4 or 5 but comes back to me so strong I can still taste it.

Stewed steak and Onions - cooked slowly until the meat just fell apart.

....and heres me on the strictest diet of me life!!

.....................ox tail! Still cook it from time to time in the slow cooker, as it takes hours in an oven, and becomes a bit costly as you watch the meter whirling ropund!

I have it once a week, it takes half an hour in a pressure cooker, and the meat just falls off. ;)

Mom used to cook the everyday run of the mill stuff like most have mentioned on here....

BUT I remember my gran used to cook and eat stuff like, boiled onions, served with best butter, salt & pepper. As a dessert she used to cook, Yorkshire pudding, served in milk with sugar, also Yorkshire pudding with jam on it given to us in newspaper...That just brought back some memories there :)

Trifle , took two days for it to set in the bath with cold water, I can see our trifle bowl today, glass with a silver (like) rim around the top.

Lovely Bread& Drippin with lots of salt, took that a while for the drippings to set too in our little grey drippin pot with the jelly stuff on the bottom :love:

Always had the Yorkshire pudding frist on Sunday, then the Good stuff, then the left over pud with jam after......nothing was wasted. :)

Brown sauce sandwiches (these were a treat!) 'Chop' sauce became a big favourite (2nd only to Henderson's Relish)

Mom's Sunday roasts were the big deal: pork, lamb mostly and also beef ...not chicken too often though, a bit dear then!

The veg was always peas, carrots green beans or cabbage ..and cooked so thoroughly as it was hard to tell the original shapes but we loved those meals nevertheless!

My father liked chicklin and bag (intestings and stomach, I think), cooked of course. We also had loads of udder as he knew someone who worked at the abbatoir.

The best was my mother's roast English rabbit done slowly in the oven in a casserole dish and basted with the beef stewing steak gravy that it was sat in. I've never tasted anything better since.

Sweets- caraway seed cake, rolled jam pudding, apple pie, but the best was in the summer - fruit pie made from fresh gooseberries, strawberries (from the allotment) and wild billberries, 2 inches thick in the middle and served with real custard.

forgot to mention the Sunday roast - Yorkshire Pudding made in one big tin - served first with gravy

but leading up to that - memory of playing in the street on a Sunday morning.

All the windows steaming up on the houses down our street as Sunday dinners were being prepared - those cabbages needed a good two hours boiling! - the smell of the roast coming through the windows that had been opened to let out the steam.

the menfolk all in their suits to go for the Sunday drink waiting outside the pub for it to open...and then.....from the radios that could be heard through those same windows - .good bye Billy Cotton band show - hello Family favorites with Cliff Michelmore and his missus - putting together all the squaddies on National Service abroad in Aden and Germany and their families back home...

Archived