Meals our mothers cooked in the old days

Then, just as the menfolk were dozing off after their Sunday pint(s) followed by their Sunday roast the ice cream man would come round so everyone ran out with their pudding dishes.

One thing that springs to mind, we never stopped eating in those days, after Sunday roast followed by Taggy's/Joe's etc. we'd have Sunday tea where 'best china came out especially if you had visitors.

forgot to mention the Sunday roast - Yorkshire Pudding made in one big tin - served first with gravy

but leading up to that - memory of playing in the street on a Sunday morning.

All the windows steaming up on the houses down our street as Sunday dinners were being prepared - those cabbages needed a good two hours boiling! - the smell of the roast coming through the windows that had been opened to let out the steam.

the menfolk all in their suits to go for the Sunday drink waiting outside the pub for it to open...and then.....from the radios that could be heard through those same windows - .good bye Billy Cotton band show - hello Family favorites with Cliff Michelmore and his missus - putting together all the squaddies on National Service abroad in Aden and Germany and their families back home...

Sounds just like our house used to. Oh for the day when mam did the cooking.Never mind im making meat an tater pie today,yum yum.

Then, just as the menfolk were dozing off after their Sunday pint(s) followed by their Sunday roast the ice cream man would come round so everyone ran out with their pudding dishes.

One thing that springs to mind, we never stopped eating in those days, after Sunday roast followed by Taggy's/Joe's etc. we'd have Sunday tea where 'best china came out especially if you had visitors.

Tinned Salmon, onions and cucumber in vinegar, followed by fruit salad with Carnation.

I still have it.

(although I have recently defected to tinned pineapple chunks)

I still cook some of the things that Mam used to make although not as regularly as she did....Sunday would be a roast, usually lamb.

Monday would be leftovers from Sunday.

Tuesday meat and potato pie, cooked in a basin.

Wednesday hash and dumplings with meat saved from yesterdays stew.

Thursday egg, bacon or sausages and beans or tomatoes cos she went to the matinee with my grandmas complimentry ticket (she worked at the Adelphi) and

Friday was usually fish in milk with mashed potatoes.

Saturday could be chips and corned beef or spam........

I remember going to the butchers on a Friday for a piece of meat, about £2...a pound and half of legmeat, half a pound of tomato sausages. I took a five pound note and never forgot the change.......:hihi:

I wish I could do that now.

the scottish among you will relate to this, when i was growing up in scotland, money was always very tight. my mother (and everyone else's) used to make up a huge pan of a dish called 'stovies', it was basically a stew but made with chopped sausages instead of stewing steak, (we couldn't always afford any) and any vegetables she happened to have in at the time. we would all eat our fill then my mother would take a small pot to some of our neighbours. 2 or 3 days later a neighbour would knock on our door and give us a pan. happy days!

Tinned Salmon, onions and cucumber in vinegar, followed by fruit salad with Carnation.

I still have it.

(although I have recently defected to tinned pineapple chunks)

You're not related to me are you? I remember spending Sundays at my grans. She'd cook a huge roast beef dinner with the beef on the oven shelf dripping its fat into a pan on the shelf below. She'd cook the Yorkshire pudding in the pan and serve great chunks of it first before the beef. Then at teatime it was tinned salmon sandwiches with onion and cucumber in vinegar followed by tinned fruit salad with carnation. In the summer she'd also give us sliced tomato that someone grew in buckets in their back yard.

Other things I remember is my other gran serving pigs trotters to my grandad and uncle on a Saturday afternoon. Grandad would sit me on his lap and give me bits of his food. Then we'd watch 'Voyage to the bottom of the sea'.

Monday for us was always left over cold meat with chips and tinned peas and a big dollop of brown sauce. We sometimes still have this meal although I prefer frozen peas these days.

My younger brother used to love bread and marg and dripping :gag: when he came home from school. I had bread and jam which put us on until mum came home from work and cooked tea.

Archived