Meals our mothers cooked in the old days

Anyone had or heard of these? My mom used to cook something she called 'water whelks'..Now they werent the shellfish whelkes..I seem to remember they were some kind of pastry that she would drop into boiling water and they would puff up. She took them out and drizzled treacle or golden syrup on them. I've tried to google it but it keeps coming up with the shellfish version..they could have been called a different name, just mom called them water whelks..

Anyone had or heard of these? My mom used to cook something she called 'water whelks'..Now they werent the shellfish whelkes..I seem to remember they were some kind of pastry that she would drop into boiling water and they would puff up. She took them out and drizzled treacle or golden syrup on them. I've tried to google it but it keeps coming up with the shellfish version..they could have been called a different name, just mom called them water whelks..
hi i remember them we called them treacle dumplings made from suet and flour i remember my gran used to make them once aweeklove j

We knew them as Watter whelps Poppy.

Anybody have condensed milk and sugar sandwiches my mum also made her own pressed tongue in a basin home made rice pudding with the thick skin on top rabbit and shin beef ho for a mug of rabbit gravy straight from the pot but best of all home made ginger beer ,elderberry wine and lemonade in the summer months i can remember a batch of beer exploding in the middle of the night thought the Germans were back.

Welsh Rarebit........grated cheese on an ovenproof plate with an egg cracked into a 'well' in the middle with milk poured over the cheese. Then grilled. Not sure why it was Welsh?????/

i always thought Welsh Rarebit wa "bread n butter n cheese sarny" toasted both sides then its a lovely warm melted cheese toasty.

Could be wrong but thats what i always called mine

and cheese n egg wa as you say grated cheese wi an egg in middle placed in a hot oven and eaten wi bread n butter till ya stuffed

I remember helping to skin an ox tongue or two after it had been boiled before it was pressed,cow heal and leg beef was pressed in the same way and tasted like potted beef but you knew what was in it. Breast of lamb, boned out and rolled with stuffing in and roasted, Brisket was rolled tight and roasted left to go cold and sliced for sanwiches. We allways had bread and butter with tinned fruit and carnation milk on sunday tea time.

Does anyone remember tinned cream that you had to shake to thicken it before opening?.

who remembers the icecream man pushing his little box on wheels n blowing his whistle ?

and

wat abart the pie n pea man coming rarnd on a thursdy neet (thursday night)

also i remember going to the coop van an gettin me mams groceries on tick we just gave them a number if i remember correctly, roughly 1962 when they finnished the mobile shop

Archived