Sheffield Barbers or Hairdressers

patto

First recollection 1950/60,s

Ken Fish Longley Shops

Place stunk of singed hair as the practice of setting fire to hair with a lighted taper and combing out the flames was popular there.

Got my first "Beatle" cut 1963 Girls at school loved it Mother dint.

Remember

Alfredo shop under Black Swan (Boardwalk Now)

Johnny Fantham's ex Wednesday footballer

One at Upperthorpe Walkley. Closed 1 day a week as the barber was across the road "shaving" patients ready for operations at the Royal Infirmary.

Felt uneasy when he used cut throat to shave my neck. Kept wondering where or what he'd been shaving previously.

Erics on Leppings Lane Hillsborough was the place to go for a semi crew or crew cut.

I reckon it would be around 1958 ish and as fashions moved on Eric would do a D.A. better known as a Ducks A**E . Tony Curtis cut was always popular as well.

when the Beatles came along so did another change when we all went in for a Beatles cut.

I understand Eric died a few years ago and in his time he was a goodun compared to the basin cuts our das had....

"Lightening" Fred Titterton near where New Barrack Tavern is now, Penistone Road. It was said you could watch a bus driving over Hillfoot Bridge, pop in get a haircut and catch same bus. Only went once. Came out minus a piece of ear and a wonky fringe. He was quick though "Lightening".

Erics on Leppings Lane Hillsborough was the place to go for a semi crew or crew cut......
I stopped going there when a haircut was "from 70p" and he charged me 80p. Mind you, I had a lot more hair back then...:(.I switched to "Peter the Barber" in Holme Lane - a really good barber; sadly he died of cancer in 1973 - he was only 58.

In the 1950s it was always Garnett's in Middlewood Road. Ernest Garnett had the nasty habit of prodding us kids with his scissors to make us move our heads, but he gave a decent haircut for 7d (or 9d on Saturdays). A keen fisherman, he was full of tips on how to catch decent roach, bream etc. - while the fierce-looking stuffed pike in a glass case in the corner looked on.

wavy Davy near the old dog track on the wybourn

If you bottled his setting lotion he would give you a free haircut.

It was bright pink and had the consistency of superglue.

He used to boil it up on a gas ring till it was bubbling and then bottle it as soon as it was cool enough,if my memory serves me right it was ninepence a bottlle.

I seem to remember his name was Harry.

Been loyal to Steve South Road 25 years. Great bloke but a Wednesdayite. Only deserted him briefly. Found a lady hairdresser. Gave a good haircut, nice figure and fancied my chances. Chatted her up and thought she was hot, till she mentioned she had been on holiday with her partner. Did he have a good time asked I. Yes SHE did was the reply.

"What a Mistake a to make a !!!"

Archived