Sheffield Barbers or Hairdressers

patto

There used to be a small shop at the bottom of Wood St. The name Jessie wragg comes to mind. The usual short back and sides artist, but God help anyone sitting waiting at 12 noon. Then all activities would stop, while he had his lunch. Tough luck on the unfortunates sitting waiting at the time, as they would have to wait for him to finish eating before resuming normal service.

There used to be a small shop at the bottom of Wood St. The name Jessie wragg comes to mind...
Spot on jmdee - from the 1942 Kelly's Directory, at 319 Penistone Road "Jesse Wragg, hairdresser". Here's an old photo of the area. A quick look at family history websites shows that Jesse Wragg was born in Chesterfield in 1904 and died in Sheffield in 1977.

If you bottled his setting lotion he would give you a free haircut.

It was bright pink and had the consistency of superglue.

He used to boil it up on a gas ring till it was bubbling and then bottle it as soon as it was cool enough,if my memory serves me right it was ninepence a bottlle.

I seem to remember his name was Harry.

His name was Harry Preistly he moved to Oughtibridge 1950s had shop in village for long time, still known as Wavy Davy,lived in Worrall died 1987.

Gabrials near the old Newton Chambers offices bottom of union st,you had to make an appointment.Wavy Davis near hyde park dog track,Ernest at the bottom of Wadsley lane and one whose name I dont remember at the side of the Bridge Inn Wadsley Bridge his daughter worked with him.Gabrials moved to the side of the Stone House on Church St,and you went downstairs,still by appointment.

Varneys on Buchanan road,taken over by "steady" Steve around 77,he used to close "for lunch" at odd hours,go to the hospital cutting hair,then re-appear hours later,always had a queue though.

As a kid,my father used to take me to Eric,s on Leppings Lane.

Archived