Sheffield Barbers or Hairdressers

patto

My first ever cut was at a barber shop on Burgoyne Rd. at the bottom of Bloor Street. He cut off all my blond curls. If only I had anything worth cutting now. I also remember a barber shop by the Southey Green Essoldo. There for the first time I had my hair cut by a lady. Shocking thing for a 14 year old in the 50's.

In the mid 50's when the Teds were in their pomp, the place to go was a hairdresser whose name I forget on West Street near the City Hall ,where such styles as a 'Cambridge' and DA's were popular.

I also remember Shaws and Traynors (sp?) at Banner Cross - I think on Huntingtower Road and Ecclesall Road respectively but may be wrong. I once went to Traynors when quite young having had my hair previouslytrimmed by my dad. The guy in Traynors asked who the heck had cut my hair last and I said 'Shaws' . 'Good God' he said!

Varneys on Buchanan road,taken over by "steady" Steve around 77,he used to close "for lunch" at odd hours,go to the hospital cutting hair,then re-appear hours later,always had a queue though.

As a kid,my father used to take me to Eric,s on Leppings Lane.

I Remember going to Steve in the early 80s ( just the once ) must have picked a bad day for him as the shop was empty. WOW that man could talk a glass eye to sleep, the more he talked the slower he worked and he had an opinion about everything. I eventually got out of the shop what seemed like two days later with a thundering headache and I remember thinking as I walked home... what am I going to tell the wife when she says " where have you been all weekend"? :rant:

I remember going to my local barbers in the 70's on Page Hall Road and taking along various photos of pop stars hairstyles that I wanted. Always came out scalped no matter what! :D

would that barbers have been called airport, no matter what you asked for you came out with sort back and where`s it gone :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

• 6 months later...

Archived