Sheffield Barbers or Hairdressers

patto

Went on Upperthorpe didn't like Bernard (smarmmy) went to Alec Anson in 50's/60's. Remember once my grandfather taking me when he went to one up Burgoyne Road. Never took me again when I attacked the barber when he used a lit spelter (thought he was setting his hair on fire) never got the idea why they did that.

I Remember going to Steve in the early 80s ( just the once ) must have picked a bad day for him as the shop was empty. WOW that man could talk a glass eye to sleep, the more he talked the slower he worked and he had an opinion about everything. I eventually got out of the shop what seemed like two days later with a thundering headache and I remember thinking as I walked home... what am I going to tell the wife when she says " where have you been all weekend"? :rant:

---------

Spot on Compost, i lived on southy hill and i use to call on fridays at 9.00am

there was always a queue outside as steve was never on time.

it took him 15 mins to set up and when it was my turn i`d ask him

to speed up as i was on 2-10 shift, never never had anyone slower

than him. ps glad i didnt ask him to style it.

Taylors on Surry street ,John is about the same age as me and cut my hair throughout the sixty,s and seventy,s, [ sometimes i got his dad and he cut it like he thought it should be cut] I think that maybe i have also had my hair cut by a third generation of Taylor,s. So that is three of em.

Dont, Go now though a bit out of my price bracket ,just think at one time i used to leave a good tip, times change eh!

Taylors on Surry street ,John is about the same age as me and cut my hair throughout the sixty,s and seventy,s, [ sometimes i got his dad and he cut it like he thought it should be cut] I think that maybe i have also had my hair cut by a third generation of Taylor,s. So that is three of em.

Dont, Go now though a bit out of my price bracket ,just think at one time i used to leave a good tip, times change eh!

My Daughter works there.

First recollection 1950/60,s

Ken Fish Longley Shops

Place stunk of singed hair as the practice of setting fire to hair with a lighted taper and combing out the flames was popular there.

Got my first "Beatle" cut 1963 Girls at school loved it Mother dint.

Kens good memories good man

thanks for your reply

my great grandfather george was indeed a hairdresser,his 2nd son,bryce, was his assistant at the shop way back at the turn of the century.earnest came along later and took over.the family did live at the property along with earnests grandfather,who was a retired grocer.i will ask the family about photos of the place...i do know that there is a stuffed fish stored at the family home,maybe it's the same one.

That's interesting, heeley boy - do you have any photos of him or the shop? I can see him in my mind's eye at 37 Middlewood Road - his father George originally had the shop (from the 1890s onwards) and they lived at the back. While waiting for a haircut, if you had your back to the window you sat on one of those curved wooden benches with a pattern of small holes drilled in it to allow air circulation. Here is a scan of a drawing in Eric Leslie's book on Hillsborough which seems fairly accurate, right down to the stuffed pike. Ernest died in 1961 but I think the business had closed a little earlier.

thanks for your reply

my great grandfather george was indeed a hairdresser,his 2nd son,bryce, was his assistant at the shop way back at the turn of the century.earnest came along later and took over.the family did live at the property along with earnests grandfather,who was a retired grocer.i will ask the family about photos of the place...i do know that there is a stuffed fish stored at the family home,maybe it's the same one.

Hello again heeley boy - it's only in recent years that (thanks to having access to family history websites) I've been able to learn something of the ancestry of the people I remember from my 1950s childhood in Hillsborough. I think it quite likely that the stuffed fish is the same one that was in the corner of the shop in Middlewood Road.

The 1901 census shows George and Elizabeth Garnett with children George, Bryce, Fanny, Elizabeth and Ada at 37 Langsett Road (the old name for this part of Middlewood Road). By 1911 the 10 year-old Ernest is shown, also his younger brother Thomas, 8. There is also the 76 year-old Bryce Garnett, "retired grocer". PM me an email address if you'd like JPEG scans of the census entries..:)

Archived