Sheffield Barbers or Hairdressers

patto

thanks,we have copies of this census.my grandfather was george,the eldest son.most of the elder boys in the family are named after their father so the line continued,we are a family that never throws things away so retain old photos and items from days gone by.

Hello again heeley boy - it's only in recent years that (thanks to having access to family history websites) I've been able to learn something of the ancestry of the people I remember from my 1950s childhood in Hillsborough. I think it quite likely that the stuffed fish is the same one that was in the corner of the shop in Middlewood Road.

The 1901 census shows George and Elizabeth Garnett with children George, Bryce, Fanny, Elizabeth and Ada at 37 Langsett Road (the old name for this part of Middlewood Road). By 1911 the 10 year-old Ernest is shown, also his younger brother Thomas, 8. There is also the 76 year-old Bryce Garnett, "retired grocer". PM me an email address if you'd like JPEG scans of the census entries..:)

...most of the elder boys in the family are named after their father so the line continued...
Yes - I noticed that Bryce senior's father, also a hairdresser, was Bryce (born 1801) and his father was evidently Bryce Barlow Garnett.

bryce barlow garnett was a beerhouse keeper who's shop was at 77 porter street in the city...street now gone i'm told...but we have a sheffield council photo of the actual property

Yes - I noticed that Bryce senior's father, also a hairdresser, was Bryce (born 1801) and his father was evidently Bryce Barlow Garnett.

The two I remember are Jack (the ripper) Skinner on Derbyshire Lane. He cut your hair whilst smoking a fag which he kept in his mouth, the ash got longer & longer till it fall off, usually down your neck. He was another one who knew only one style...short back & sides.

The other was Ernest Waite on Woodseats. He ran a fishing tackle shop as well as a 'barbers'. People buying fishing gear had precedence over the poor sod in the chair. If it was busy it could sometimes take over half an hour to get a trim. He never washed his hands after he'd served someone with a pint of maggots, so after a bad haircut you'd get the aroma of maggots to go with it. His wife was also stone deaf so lots of shouting & confusion reigned in the shop:hihi:

...Here is a scan of a drawing in Eric Leslie's book on Hillsborough which seems fairly accurate, right down to the stuffed pike...
I well remember the stuffed pike, mounted and displayed in a glass case in the corner of Garnett's shop (it was placed diagonally across a corner of the room, not against a wall as in Eric Leslie's drawing). It had a small brass plate inscribed with the date when the pike was caught, its weight, and the location, which I think was in Scotland, possibly Loch Awe.

Archived