50%+ of Tory funding comes from banks

I see that 50% of Tory party funding now comes from Banks in the City of London.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/feb/08/tory-funds-half-city-banks-financial-sector

Surely this cannot be healthy for democracy? How can this government (or any other which receives so much money from a single source) be objective when making policy when so many vested interests are involved?

I propose that parties should be funded by the state. Basically each person has two 'votes'. The first is cast for the party who they want to rule the country and the second is for who they want to give their one pound of party funding to. Obviously it might mean some very nasty parties get state money but isn't it a price worth paying?

The first is cast for the party who they want to rule the country and the second is for who they want to give their one pound of party funding to.

What if I don't want to give anything to any of the parties?

Obviously it might mean some very nasty parties get state money but isn't it a price worth paying?

No!

http://newsthump.com/2011/02/09/political-parties-still-funded-by-pricks/

The nation is this morning realising that the nation’s major political parties are still funded by the sort of people that caused the banking crisis and who pull tube drivers out on strike at the drop of a hat.

Following news that rich people give money to people who can make them richer, experts have warned that the sort of people who give money to political parties are only doing so in the hope that any government they fund will do as they say.

I'd of thought that if you voted, you'd want to give 'your' allotted £1 to a party?

What about those of us who pretty much need a clothes peg on our nose when we visit the ballot box? None of the parties are any good and quite frankly I'd rather give the lot of them a good kick up the jacksie rather then a single penny of mine.

What about those of us who pretty much need a clothes peg on our nose when we visit the ballot box? None of the parties are any good and quite frankly I'd rather give the lot of them a good kick up the jacksie rather then a single penny of mine.

Personally I find it hard to believe that you can't find a party in England to give your £1 to? It needn't be a mainstream one!

There are literally hundreds of parties to choose from, ranging from those based around local issues (Youth Party, Southampton First, Save Bedford Hospital, Peace Party to name just a few), to the big three!

I'd of thought that if you voted, you'd want to give 'your' allotted £1 to a party?

I'll be back to spoiling my papers from now on, so I certainly wouldn't want to give any of the parties any money (to force people to contribute to a political party would be against the very essence of a democracy).

Personally I find it hard to believe that you can't find a party in England to give your £1 to? It needn't be a mainstream one!

There are literally hundreds of parties to choose from, ranging from those based around local issues (Youth Party, Southampton First, Save Bedford Hospital, Peace Party to name just a few), to the big three!

Southampton First and Save Bedford Hospital are not standing where I live.

Southampton First and Save Bedford Hospital are not standing where I live.

They were just examples!

I'm sure there are other parties that stand where you live. And if there aren't it would make it a heck of alot easier to start your own without the need for backing from multi millionaires.

Archived