50%+ of Tory funding comes from banks

Conservatives 50% funded by business.

Labour 50% funded by the unions.

Am I supposed to be suprised?

I am a little. I would have expected like the Republicans in the US they would have received a higher proportion of their funding from oil companies and arms manufacturers.

I see that 50% of Tory party funding now comes from Banks in the City of London.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/feb/08/tory-funds-half-city-banks-financial-sector

Surely this cannot be healthy for democracy? How can this government (or any other which receives so much money from a single source) be objective when making policy when so many vested interests are involved?

I propose that parties should be funded by the state. Basically each person has two 'votes'. The first is cast for the party who they want to rule the country and the second is for who they want to give their one pound of party funding to. Obviously it might mean some very nasty parties get state money but isn't it a price worth paying?

well the voter is shafted,

you vote tory your unemployed with no saftey net.

you vote labour you turn this country into pakistan plus various other dregs.

you vote liberal you get jokes

you vote bnp you get mindless thugs

whats left? riot? pr?

Archived