50%+ of Labour Party funding comes from trade unions.

That's helpful but I asked to be pointed to an example of a union membership being individually balloted on members money being donated to a political party?

How often would you expect this ballot to occur? As far as I'm aware, the Unite position, which was inherited from its previous incarnations, was voted on at conference way back in the dim and distant past. Are you suggesting that members should be balloted every week, month, year?

Which is better than starving the economy isn't it?

Not really because we have to pay massive amounts of interest on the debts. So this year almost £2000 of tax collected per household in the UK will not be used to provide better services. It will be used to pay interest on government borrowing. This amount is increasing year on year as we borrow more and more. So by the time the next election is planned that amount will be more than £3000 per household.

When you talk of starving the economy I'm not sure what you are getting at. The tax burden on industry is so high that businesses are packing up and moving elsewhere. We should be trying to encourage businesses to move here not scaring those we already have into moving away.

What it's called is living beyond your means and running up a £1.2 trillion debt that we cannot afford to pay off. Labour was spending £175 billion more a year on public services than the country was paying in taxes. So it is all very well having good services. Everyone wants them, pretty much like everyone would like a new car, a nice house and 3 overseas holidays per year. But if you can't afford them the trouble starts when the bills need paying.

Here's a simple question for you.

The government currently has a £1.2 trillion debt. What do you think that debt is budgeted to become after 5 years of coalition cuts?

Repaying our debt now costs us 6p in every pound in 1996 it was 8p in every pound.

http://falseeconomy.org.uk/cure/how-big-is-the-problem

There is a problem with the economy but the solution is not to slash public spending and expect a beleaguered damaged private sector to pick up the slack. The private sector economy that collapsed needs to be built up again and nurtured back to growth.

The CondDem policies are ideological not economic, likely to damage the countires welfare not nurture it back to the kind of growth where the structural debt the banks built up by overpricing their products can be paid back.

The Government's role is to protect the interests of the people that vote for it. Nurture jobs and profitable businesses, a decent standard of living for all.

I would expect the Government to get involved in any outsourcing deals and try to negotiate in favour of the work staying in the UK.

So what would you offer Tata to keep Land Rover and Jaguar production in the UK?

Repaying our debt now costs us 6p in every pound in 1996 it was 8p in every pound.

http://falseeconomy.org.uk/cure/how-big-is-the-problem

Ah yes 1996. Wasn't that just before Margaret Thatcher had to sort out the IMF loan and the other crazy borrowing from the previous out of control Labour Government.

I see a pattern emering as history is repeating itself.

Ah yes 1996. Wasn't that just before Margaret Thatcher had to sort out the IMF loan and the other crazy borrowing from the previous out of control Labour Government.

The tories had been in power for 17 years in 1996.What took so long?

Thatcher had been kicked out by her own party by then.

Archived