50%+ of Labour Party funding comes from trade unions.

So what would you offer Tata to keep Land Rover and Jaguar production in the UK?

I would be looking at how the Regional Growth fund and similar could be used, looking to see what their reasons were (training needs perhaps?) and seeking to address them.

I would also seperate to that intervention and more generally be looking at import duties and how taxation affects or more specifically disincentivises work being done in the UK rather than abroad and seeking to rectify that to encourage work being done locally. Some form of Green taxes might be a way to do this, to disincentivise the transport of goods across long distances wasting fuel and resources when it could be done locally.

The Government's role is to protect the interests of the people that vote for it. Nurture jobs and profitable businesses, a decent standard of living for all.

I would expect the Government to get involved in any outsourcing deals and try to negotiate in favour of the work staying in the UK.

And that is what they do, that is why they try to keep the cost of employing someone low and the business taxes low:hihi:

I would be looking at how the Regional Growth fund and similar could be used, looking to see what their reasons were (training needs perhaps?) and seeking to address them.

I would also seperate to that intervention and more generally be looking at import duties and how taxation affects or more specifically disincentivises work being done in the UK rather than abroad and seeking to rectify that to encourage work being done locally. Some form of Green taxes might be a way to do this, to disincentivise the transport of goods across long distances wasting fuel and resources when it could be done locally.

they'd have to be bloomin high to stop companies going to places like india and china, then the "working people":hihi: of britain wouldn't be able to afford anything because it costs so much more to buy british than chinese

Repaying our debt now costs us 6p in every pound in 1996 it was 8p in every pound.

http://falseeconomy.org.uk/cure/how-big-is-the-problem

There is a problem with the economy but the solution is not to slash public spending and expect a beleaguered damaged private sector to pick up the slack. The private sector economy that collapsed needs to be built up again and nurtured back to growth.

The CondDem policies are ideological not economic, likely to damage the countires welfare not nurture it back to the kind of growth where the structural debt the banks built up by overpricing their products can be paid back.

But the problem now is spiraling debt because no one is suggesting paying off the debt, simply reducing the rate at which it is building up. So our debt and the amount we are paying in interest is increasing at an ever increasing rate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/5881107/UK-government-debt-almost-9p-of-each-1-in-tax-will-be-needed-to-pay-the-interest.html#

The National Institute of Economic and Social Research said that costs of servicing government debt will rise from £25.6bn this fiscal year to £50.7bn in 2013/14, due to a combination of higher interest rates and a far greater debt burden. The warning underlines the cost facing taxpayers as the Government debt rises at the fastest rate in peacetime history.

they'd have to be bloomin high to stop companies going to places like india and china, then the "working people":hihi: of britain wouldn't be able to afford anything because it costs so much more to buy british than chinese

Indeed and why in some areas it is not worth us competing.

And that is what they do, that is why they try to keep the cost of employing someone low and the business taxes low:hihi:

Which you seem to think is a desirable? :rolleyes:

It shouldn't take a genius to work out you will be in a very small minority happily laughing away at the thought of us competing with the third world by cutting salaries to the level of theirs.

No, the solution is an international trade union movement, international democratic bodies that can impose and regulate the amoral profiteering of businesses in particular multinationals that cause so much damage around the world.

It is through structures like those and by supporting international workers struggles for decent pay and working conditions that we can improve the lot of everyone. Incidentally that is one reason why the ban on secondary picketing under Thatcher's anti-trade union laws is so damaging. It has set a standard whereby our laws are used as an example by other countries when they restrict the rights of their workers from those standards laid down by the International Labour Organisation. Something that holds back workers struggles overseas, hindering international solidarity action and holding back workers strength to negotiate the sort of fair wage settlements that would remove the incentives to outsource work internationally.

But the problem now is spiraling debt because no one is suggesting paying off the debt, simply reducing the rate at which it is building up. So our debt and the amount we are paying in interest is increasing at an ever increasing rate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/5881107/UK-government-debt-almost-9p-of-each-1-in-tax-will-be-needed-to-pay-the-interest.html#

The National Institute of Economic and Social Research said that costs of servicing government debt will rise from £25.6bn this fiscal year to £50.7bn in 2013/14, due to a combination of higher interest rates and a far greater debt burden. The warning underlines the cost facing taxpayers as the Government debt rises at the fastest rate in peacetime history.

Because of the failing economy. Invest for growth and the growth will bring with it the revenue that will pay off the debt burden.

Indeed and why in some areas it is not worth us competing.

Which you seem to think is a desirable? :rolleyes:

It shouldn't take a genius to work out you will be in a very small minority happily laughing away at the thought of us competing with the third world by cutting salaries to the level of theirs.

No, the solution is an international trade union movement, international democratic bodies that can impose and regulate the amoral profiteering of businesses in particular multinationals that cause so much damage around the world.

It is through structures like those and by supporting international workers struggles for decent pay and working conditions that we can improve the lot of everyone. Incidentally that is one reason why the ban on secondary picketing under Thatcher's anti-trade union laws is so damaging. It has set a standard whereby our laws are used as an example by other countries when they restrict the rights of their workers from those standards laid down by the International Labour Organisation. Something that holds back workers struggles overseas, hindering international solidarity action and holding back workers strength to negotiate the sort of fair wage settlements that would remove the incentives to outsource work internationally.

I'll admit I'm laughing at you but you are very funny:hihi:

:roll:

I actually think the problem is our whole country is happy to pay less for stuff and buy none british items. If we are willing to do that we have to be willing to accept that we won't have enough jobs. If we aren't willing to buy here why would anyone else. Thats probably why we are so reliant on "the city", we have little else. If our unskilled workers want £6 an hour and chinas want a few pence an hour its really no competition

conclusion: I blame the people that shop in primark-shame on you!

Because of the failing economy. Invest for growth and the growth will bring with it the revenue that will pay off the debt burden.

That's all very well, but as the projected debt was causing concerns to those who were financing it we were in grave danger of facing spiraling interest rates as experienced by Greece and Ireland.

From the same article.

A phalanx of forecasters, including the International Monetary Fund and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, have warned that unless the UK brings spending under control, it may struggle to raise cash on capital markets. In practice, this means the Government will be forced to pay higher interest rates on its bonds, potentially pushing up debt interest costs even higher than forecast by NIESR.

Robert Stheeman, chief executive officer of the Debt Management Office admitted yesterday that a possible downgrade in Britain's credit rating would push up these costs, though he denied that it would threaten Britain's ability to sell bonds.

I seem to remember that Moody's, and Standard & Poors had both downgraded Britain's credit rating and were threatening to downgrade further.

I'll admit I'm laughing at you but you are very funny:hihi:

:roll:

I actually think the problem is our whole country is happy to pay less for stuff and buy none british items. If we are willing to do that we have to be willing to accept that we won't have enough jobs. If we aren't willing to buy here why would anyone else. Thats probably why we are so reliant on "the city", we have little else. If our unskilled workers want £6 an hour and chinas want a few pence an hour its really no competition

conclusion: I blame the people that shop in primark-shame on you!

I think you share some of the blame because you that can't see beyond your narrow view of the world whilst laughing at those that are trying to find a solution, especially when you have no solution yourself.

Meanwhile, half of the world’s workforce earns less than 2 $ a day. 12.3 million women and men work in slavery. 200 million children under the age of 15 work instead of going to school. 2.2 million people die due to work-related accidents and diseases every year. People in developed and developing countries work more for less money, and more and more people – overwhelmingly women - are forced to make their living in the so-called informal economy, without social protection or rights and in precarious jobs. Meanwhile, companies are using the threat of outsourcing to drive down wages and hard fought for rights such as the right to collective bargaining and to strike. Trade unionists that fight these trends are dismissed, threatened, jailed and even killed.

.... and in your case laughed at...:rolleyes:

http://www.ituc-csi.org/call-to-action-for-decent-work,5517.html

I think you share some of the blame because you that can't see beyond your narrow view of the world whilst laughing at those that are trying to find a solution, especially when you have no solution yourself.

Meanwhile, half of the world’s workforce earns less than 2 $ a day. 12.3 million women and men work in slavery. 200 million children under the age of 15 work instead of going to school. 2.2 million people die due to work-related accidents and diseases every year. People in developed and developing countries work more for less money, and more and more people – overwhelmingly women - are forced to make their living in the so-called informal economy, without social protection or rights and in precarious jobs. Meanwhile, companies are using the threat of outsourcing to drive down wages and hard fought for rights such as the right to collective bargaining and to strike. Trade unionists that fight these trends are dismissed, threatened, jailed and even killed.

.... and in your case laughed at...:rolleyes:

http://www.ituc-csi.org/call-to-action-for-decent-work,5517.html

Surely in that case allowing our manufacturing base to go out to the third world is a good idea.:loopy::loopy:

Archived