50%+ of Labour Party funding comes from trade unions.

You know... whatever.

People can look back at what you have posted... and they will wonder at why you have no shame. It is not worth arguing with you.

no they really won't. Im sure theres a reason why I should feel bad for being willing to pay more to ethical companies I just can't quite grasp it:huh:

They get asked when they join if they want to contribute to the political fund. They can opt out whenever they want. They can go through the democratic process to overturn decisions every National Conference. The Political fund needs to be renewed by secret ballot every 10 years.

The only thing undemocratic things in that arrangement are that they can opt out (if only we could all opt out of democratic decision hey) and the requirement for a ballot every ten years. Both of which are imposed on the union by the law and both of which are included to try to reduce funding to the labour party.

You really don't get it do you... :help:

Ps Whatever you think you know about me is false, and I think an ex-Admin trying to make this personal is pretty low.

No dear friend, it is you that doesn't get it.

The question is when has a union membership been asked if they want to fund a political party, not whether an individual member wants to when they join.

Let me put it another way, when has a union membership been asked if it wants to fund a political party AT ALL.

No dear friend, it is you that doesn't get it.

The question is when has a union membership been asked if they want to fund a political party, not whether an individual member wants to when they join.

Let me put it another way, when has a union membership been asked if it wants to fund a political party AT ALL.

They don't have to be asked. They get a say every National Conference. Which will be every year or every second year depending on the union.

That is how democracy works.

They don't have to be asked. They get a say every National Conference. Which will be every year or every second year depending on the union.

That is how democracy works.

Let's refresh ourselves of that democracy in action;

any member can opt out should they wish

any member can draft a motion calling for a change to the political fund

put it to their branch AGM

if successful have it debated

voted on at their national conference.

Hmm.

any member can opt out should they wish

any member can draft a motion calling for a change to the political fund

put it to their branch AGM

if successful have it debated

voted on at their national conference..

I think we all saw what happens to anyone who doesn't toe the union line during the miners strike.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/16/newsid_2512000/2512469.stm

Let's refresh ourselves of that democracy in action;

Hmm.

If only we had the same democracy in the Conservative party... or even in Government.

I would love to be able to put motions to my MP annually and get an annual vote on what he will say and argue in Parliament.

If only we had the same democracy in the Conservative party... or even in Government.

I would love to be able to put motions to my MP annually and get an annual vote on what he will say and argue in Parliament.

You get to vote for your MP more often than you get to vote on whether your union should fund a political party and you can go and speak to them personally pretty much any week of the year to ask them to do something for you.

However, from the lack of any cogent answer the obvious conclusion is that there has never been a vote in living memory of a union membership on whether they should fund a political party. Or is that incorrect?

Archived