50%+ of Labour Party funding comes from trade unions.

What goes around and all that …….. we had Callaghan courting the Unions over a pint and a few Butties and now we have Cameron courting the “City” at a ball with £1000 tickets ………. What’s changed?

The state of the country, for one. Union-led policies led us into bankruptcy, and the unions fought tooth and nail to keep us there until Thatcher clipped their wings.

the thing is some members of unions pay thier union subs because if the dnt they get bullied in to being part of a union but realy dont vote labour and never had. this to me reminds me of the commujist party of the old ussr thier flag was also red was it not.

in short the unions use the members money for poilitical gains or to back a party that possibly most members dont back but the leadership do

exactly the same as when it is businesses giving money to the tory party of course.

The difference is the Labour party is backed by organisations of working people... something that gives them legitimacy and credibility amongst working people.

The Tories are backed by a small minority of priveleged people that just caused a financial crisis....

That is a very long way from exactly the same.

the thing is some members of unions pay thier union subs because if the dnt they get bullied in to being part of a union but realy dont vote labour and never had. this to me reminds me of the commujist party of the old ussr thier flag was also red was it not.

in short the unions use the members money for poilitical gains or to back a party that possibly most members dont back but the leadership do

That is ridiculous on quite a few levels.

Political funds by Unions can be opted out of.... members may even have to opt in to them.. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Such contributions are however optional and anonymous. There is no way anyone in a position to bully someone would know whether a particular union member was funding the Labour Party or not, unless they told people themselves.

The state of the country, for one. Union-led policies led us into bankruptcy, and the unions fought tooth and nail to keep us there until Thatcher clipped their wings.

I don't recall unions calling for the deregulation of the banks?

Ohh you are talking about the IMF being called in after the disasterous economic situation left by Edward Heath?... caused by the Oil crisis wasn't it? Although I suppose your reference is to him picking a fight with the NUM he couldn't win. More fool him. He shouldn't have picked a fight with a set of workers that wanted a fair settlement in a fight he couldn't win.

The difference is the Labour party is backed by organisations of working people... something that gives them legitimacy and credibility amongst working people.

The Tories are backed by a small minority of priveleged people that just caused a financial crisis....

That is a very long way from exactly the same.

They would never win an election in that case. Have you really thought that one through?

By the way the financial crisis was caused because the labour government failed to regulate lending by financial institutions. The Government debt and budget deficit was caused by a government intent on creating unafordable public sector jobs without the means to pay for them. Probably because they were in hock to the unions.

Archived