50%+ of Labour Party funding comes from trade unions.

but a wage doesn't define what class you are either. I don't pretend to know what does exactly but most of this country is middle class. We don't have that many miners or factory workers or farm hands.!
But the traditional middle class figure is well educated and of professional or senior management status - I think it fair to say that most of the country aren't company directors, archictects, lawyers or doctors - those are the sort of people who fit the middle class label.

Of course it then gets complex with the tiers - lower middle/upper working and whatever. Either way, the majority of people are working class - whether or not they wear overalls.

But the traditional middle class figure is well educated and of professional or senior management status - I think it fair to say that most of the country aren't company directors, archictects, lawyers or doctors - those are the sort of people who fit the middle class label.

Of course it then gets complex with the tiers - lower middle/upper working and whatever. Either way, the majority of people are working class - whether or not they wear overalls.

Away with this middle class malarky - people have to work for a living or this don't, simple as. None of that Frost Report rubbish please.

what about degrees surely someone with a degree a house and a decent wage is middle class.

I wouldn't call someone who works in an office working class either. I guess it all depends on your definition which is why class is rubbish and why people should stop banging on about being working class.

Away with this middle class malarky - people have to work for a living or this don't, simple as.
No, it's not 'simple as', or we'd all be working class apart from the aristocracy. Class has far less to do with employment than it has to do with family background, education and social skills.

what about degrees surely someone with a degree a house and a decent wage is middle class.
Perhaps 30 or 40 years ago, when degree level education was indeed a middle class life choice. Today, it's an alternative to the dole - there are plenty of crass, uncultured graceless oafs with degrees today who will never climb out of the gutter.

I wouldn't call someone who works in an office working class either. I guess it all depends on your definition which is why class is rubbish and why people should stop banging on about being working class.
Why not? Do you suggest that a lowly office clerk is socially comparable with a surgeon? Some chavs can be dressed in a tie temporarily, but they're still chavs.

Perhaps 30 or 40 years ago, when degree level education was indeed a middle class life choice. Today, it's an alternative to the dole - there are plenty of crass, uncultured graceless oafs with degrees today who will never climb out of the gutter.

Why not? Do you suggest that a lowly office clerk is socially comparable with a surgeon? Some chavs can be dressed in a tie temporarily, but they're still chavs.

Not at all Im saying that whilst these labels are rubbish the majority of this country is middle class. They aren't doing manual jobs, they have disposable income (wildly varying in amounts but they have it), they are well educated.

Archived