Blocked entrance--advice please

right i live on a small road 4 houses on it,one way on same way off,just wide enough to get a car thru,people keep parking and blocking it so i have put a sign up saying residents parking only,

iv come home and someones at one of the houses,so i cant get the car up my house and garage so i have blocked the entrance off.

what can i do to get this stopped.

i dont want to fall out with neighbours over this.

when i have workers vans at my house last week a parked on another road so as not to block the road.

In legal terms, the answer is "not a lot." You have a right of access to the road, but you do not have a legal right of access to your driveway - bizarrely enough.

Other than going about trying to find whose car it is and politely asking them to move, you really don't have many options.

Suppose you could approach the highways section of the council and ask about them painting in double yellow lines or maybe ask parking services or the police if the offending cars are breaking any laws

its unadopted so council wont do anything,

they have just been and knocked o my door asked me to move my car i said ill be 5 mins he replied up to you if you dont hurry he will drive over your car!!!:rant:

In this scenario, if the road was an adopted one, you would actually be causing the offence.

As already said if someone is blocking an empty drive there is diddly squat you can do. However if your already on the drive and they block you in then (on a normal rd, not sure about unadopted) its an offence AFAIK.

its unadopted so council wont do anything,

they have just been and knocked o my door asked me to move my car i said ill be 5 mins he replied up to you if you dont hurry he will drive over your car!!!:rant:

Let's get this straight - you deliberately block somebody in, then tell them you'll be another 5 minutes, and you're surprised you got some attitude back????

Let's get this straight - you deliberately block somebody in, then tell them you'll be another 5 minutes, and you're surprised you got some attitude back????

I used to do the same. My neighbour's drive and mine used to narrow to under two car widths, between our homes, and then widen again at the foot of our respective garages. The neighbour was not the problem, she parked her car in front of her garage, however, her son used to visit and park at the narrowest point, thus meaning I could not get to my garage. So, I used to leave my car towards the end of my drive and making it awkward for him to reverse out.

Naturally, he started whinging about not being able to move his car, but all I used to say was that if I he didn't park there, I would be able to park my car correctly and he wouldn't have to fuss around trying to get it moved. I only started doing this after asking him umpteen times not to park at the narrowest spot, as I needed access to the drive/garage. Not my fault he wasn't the brightest spark.

In legal terms, the answer is "not a lot." You have a right of access to the road, but you do not have a legal right of access to your driveway - bizarrely enough.

Other than going about trying to find whose car it is and politely asking them to move, you really don't have many options.

True, but if they are actually blocking the highway then they are causing an obstruction.

In terms of when to complain, the police will do more if you've been blocked in, rather than blocked out, up to having the car towed away if they can't locate the owner.

Someone who themselves had blocked off an access.

With an attitude like that I'd go out and start vacuuming my car or giving it a wash.

Archived