What do whistling brakes mean?

Whistling pads are normally a harmonic set up by the pad unseating from the caliper.

You could take it to a garage and get them to reseat the pads in the calipers with a generous helping of copper grease, but considering they are going to be taking it all off you might as well get new pads fitted. Assuming of course that they are not reasonably new anyway.

No leave it :D ………… I have heard of tea breaks and smoking breaks but never whistling breaks.

Well I dont like tea or smoke so maybe next time everyone leaves the office for one or the other I should announce I shall also be absent for the next 10 minutes for my whistling break! :D

Ive got my car in for an MOT next week and over the past month or so when I brake there's a whistling sound and I was wondering if anyone knew what this might be and if it means my MOT is going to end up being very expensive!! :(
sounds like they just need a clean..a build up of dust will make them do this...mick

Its a Toyota Yaris, will they look at this at my MOT and be able to fix it then or will I need to take it in separately for this?

They will check the pads for depth of friction face left, but it is only a visual inspection, then put it on a pair of rollers for a braking force check, again not actually driving it around.

If they do not need obviously changing they will just list it as an advisory.

Best option is to ring a few places and just say you need a front brake service, ask them what they do in their service and see who comes back with a decent price.

Ive got my car in for an MOT next week and over the past month or so when I brake there's a whistling sound and I was wondering if anyone knew what this might be and if it means my MOT is going to end up being very expensive!! :(

Your just playing a whistling disc:banana:

Depends on the car Hayley , not changing them will result in damaged discs which can be very expensive , as in several hundred pounds.

Disc starts around £15 each it wouldnt be that much, On my car it is recommanded you change disc with 2nd change of pads as the disc do wear then explode to pieces when you brake hard if you dont change it

Disc starts around £15 each it wouldnt be that much, On my car it is recommanded you change disc with 2nd change of pads as the disc do wear then explode to pieces when you brake hard if you dont change it

I Presume you meant pads at £15 and not the discs

Archived