The Digital Switchover Help Scheme

Hi people,

Ive just recieved a letter from the BBC saying I can get help getting ready for the Switchover thanks to the "Switchover Help Scheme". Even though I have Freeview already in my bedroom they will still help me get another tv Digital Ready.

I have a large list of options but can't decide which package to go for.

Freeview Box, delivery and aftercare = £40

OR

Freesat Box & Dish, delivery and aftercare = £60

So which would you say is best? Freeview or Freesat?

Also has anyone else recieved this letter?

Paying £40 for a Freeview box and delivery and aftercare??

Your being ripped off mate!!! Freeview boxes can be picked up for £20 from your local Argos (a couple of quid on a bus/tram) and why do you need aftercare for a low-value electrical item? You would ask for aftercare on a toaster and kettle!!!!

Not really "help", is it?

Hi people,

Ive just recieved a letter from the BBC saying I can get help getting ready for the Switchover thanks to the "Switchover Help Scheme". Even though I have Freeview already in my bedroom they will still help me get another tv Digital Ready.

I have a large list of options but can't decide which package to go for.

Freeview Box, delivery and aftercare = £40

OR

Freesat Box & Dish, delivery and aftercare = £60

Freesat currently has HD channels, though more will be available on Freeview when the switchover is complete.

So which would you say is best? Freeview or Freesat?

Personally I'd go for Freeview HD. I've found the SD material on Freesat is at a lower (noticably so) bitrate. That may have changed though, I don't use it anymore for SD material, so haven't checked in ages.

I have both ATM, but the freesat will probably be going once the switchover is done and dusted and HD is available free to air on Freeview.

Also has anyone else recieved this letter?

I haven't.

To be honest I wouldn't use it if I plan on getting freeview its just that if I decided to go with Freesat I'll need a dish fitting which I'm guessing wont be as cheap if I sort it myself?

I actually have no idea of the cost to convert to Freesat.

The £60 doesnt make reference to "installation". You might want to check that. If it does include installation, £60 is very good.

£40 for the Freeview box is utterly pointless though, given they are now much cheaper and you dont need aftercare for such a cheap electrical item!!

Archived