Do ghosts exist?

hi alot of strange thing have been happening in my house lately and i think we have ghosts in the house but my partner seems to think they do not exist so i was wondering if any1 had any links to any websites or videos so i can prove it to him or has any1 had any encounters with ghosts??

My story: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=7238715#post7238715

For anyone interested there is a fantastic report written by Pliny the Younger (the guy who wrote about the destruction of Pompeii) about a haunted house in I think in Athens during the 1st century.

The strange thing is through thousands of years, hundreds of cultures and dozens of religions the general idea of ghosts and the type of hauntings always remain the same.

Why for all our intellegence and massive understanding of the world and the universe, do people still cling onto crazyness like we're back in the 1500's wondering if the world is flat.

You mean calling people crazy for saying the world just might be round and to have an open mind?

We know very little about the universe, currently science is searching for something that they do not even know exists. the god particle.

im not a deeply religious person so quoting from the bible is not a wise thing to do. a bloke at work who is godly explained about a passage in the bible which refers to ghosts. it went along the lines of jesus being ressurected from the dead and one of his disciples seeing him and asking if he were a ghost. jesus then replied "no i am not a ghost". the point my colleague was making was that jesus just said no im not a ghost rather than saying ghosts do not exist.

No idea what that has got to do with ghosts.

That passage is about Easter and according to our current Easter custom, Easter was the time when Jesus came back from the dead disguised as a giant pink rabbit hiding little coloured chocolate eggs.

For anyone interested there is a fantastic report written by Pliny the Younger (the guy who wrote about the destruction of Pompeii) about a haunted house in I think in Athens during the 1st century.

The strange thing is through thousands of years, hundreds of cultures and dozens of religions the general idea of ghosts and the type of hauntings always remain the same.

It is fascinating. It clearly says something about the human psyche.

Ghosts do not exist.

It is fascinating. It clearly says something about the human psyche.

Ghosts do not exist.

Because of the human psyche I think we somehow need this stuff if only for escapism as an alternative to the humdrum repetitive fear we encounter daily.

It's called the unknown for a good reason..as you say, they don't exist.

We know very little about the universe, currently science is searching for something that they do not even know exists. the god particle.

That is a particularly bad example. There is actually a reason why they are looking for the higgs boson, it is predicted by mathematics much too complex for me to understand let alone reproduce right now. There are theories for how certain things in the universe work that need the higgs boson to exist.

Correspondingly there is no such theory when it comes to ghosts. No-one has suggested a medium by which they could exist, a way by which their memories and appearance could transfer to this unspecified medium. And it is absolutely certain that there is no mathematical equation that requires their existence. And don't think people haven't tried, 100 years ago or so ghosts were all the rage in the scientific world, there's a reason that is not the case anymore, all scientific investigation into them has been fruitless.

Another big difference is that the results of their search will not be subjective. Plenty of people have felt like they've seen a ghost, however if they find the higgs boson they won't just have felt like they've seen it. They will be recording it with millions of pounds worth of equipment.

Ghosts are superstitions, this is the 21st century already, come on people!

Several people have reported seeing a ghost in the engine room of the old Queen Mary docked at Long Beach, California. It's reputed to be the ghost of a crew member who was accidentally killed back in the 1960s.

There's also a photgraph. still in existence somewhere of a group of WW1 British soldiers. When the photo was printed everyone of the soldiers swore blind that a soldier shown in the second row had been killed a few days previously

I was a sceptic until something happened to me in Nottingham underground that i could not find an explanation for.

Why would that stop you from being a sceptic? Every time I go to a magic show I see things for which I cannot find any possible explanation. I still don't believe in magic.

That is a particularly bad example. There is actually a reason why they are looking for the higgs boson, it is predicted by mathematics much too complex for me to understand let alone reproduce right now. There are theories for how certain things in the universe work that need the higgs boson to exist.

And, which is more, the "God particle" is an inordinately silly name for it. Proving or disproving its existence will say nothing about God.

Archived