And we thought The Star had some non-stories!!

They weren't "celebrities" though.

To be fair I don't think the sarcy quote marks were needed.

David Beckham is a proper celebrity, in the sense that he is famous because he has an exceptional talent, and has been extremely successful in his chosen field.

Doesn't mean this story is newsworthy though. But I will admit, it brought a little smile to my face, imagine David Beckham helping you out like that!

To be fair I don't think the sarcy quote marks were needed.

David Beckham is a proper celebrity, in the sense that he is famous because he has an exceptional talent, and has been extremely successful in his chosen field.

His skill in his chosen field doesn't mean he should be recognised as some sort of hero for doing something that most people would do.

His skill in his chosen field doesn't mean he should be recognised as some sort of hero for doing something that most people would do.

Firstly, I already agreed that its not really newsworthy.

Secondly, that's not the angle the story goes with anyway. It's not like 'David Beckham, father of two, selflessly stops his car and heroically helps broken down driver', its more about how bizarre it was for the guy who he was helping.

Thirdly, that's a very optimistic outlook of humanity you've got there. I've been in a broken down car once, and let me tell you firsthand, most people would not do it. The vast majority, a staggering majority I would say, just drive on.

Finally, I wasn't saying that his talent means he should be recognised as a hero for doing this, simply that his talent means that he's a proper celebrity and not a "celebrity" like some reality show star.

The BBC seem to have taken a leaf out of The Stars book, hey have written a story on how David Beckham helped a broken down motorist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-12408687

Is this really news? Ive seen numerous people helping broken down motorists but they haven't appeard in local and national news.

The reality is that stories like this help to sell copy. The BBC just repeats what's on the newswires. If they didn't they'd get lambasted for not covering it by those that think it's a good piece, if they do they get lambasted for covering it by those that don't.

Either way, they can't win.

While I'm not really a footy fan, and think the players are ridiculously overpaid, it's hard to fault David Beckham.

He genuinely sounds like a nice guy and it's nice to hear every now and again that they've done something that doesn't involve them being given a large bung.

Archived