Motor insurance, who do these companies think they are?

Large rant!

took our motor ins. out last year with i buy eco, they gave a good quote on go compare, at £469, fully comp for both of us.

renual time in january their quote was aprox £1500! i rang them, long story short we had an open claim from when we reported an accident. they closed the claim for me (as we didnt want to claim anything) then re-did the quote. still amounted to about £1000 for the year, so i told them i wouldnt be using them this year.

I sorted my new policy out with swinton and bobs your uncle!

suddenly start getting email from ibuyeco with my "claims number". this is after my renual date and they have sent no policy docs. so i says to my OH, "lets get the direct debit cancelled, i think they are going to try and take the money"..........direct debit due on the 8th, policy date was the 3rd.

lo and behold they try to take the money and have taken the £4 legal cover a couple of days before :/

this morning i have received a credit agreement from them, for us to sign and send back, if i dont i will incur a £15 charge!

WTF???

i have just got off the phone from them:suspect:

firstly they try to tell me that i need to send the credit agreement back to them (so they can refund us).....thats fine, whats not fine is i have to send a copy of my swinton policy to them, but i agree. (then he realises we have cancelled the direct debit, and they dont have any of our money)

he looks back at my telephone history with them and realises that i did indeed call them in january letting them know i am not renewing.

this is where things get shady........

he now starts telling me there is a cancellation fee and i will have to pay for the insurance between the 3rd and today, and that my husband must ring them TODAY!

when i point out to him that the policy is a yearly policy, that we do not wish to renew, he tells me "its an internet policy, you just print the documents off" and "anyway it's not YOUR policy, your husband needs to call us"

at this point i put the phone down as he was talking to me like i was a child :(

I am sat here now, totally ****** off, as i am sick of companies and their plain underhand practices. i feel i constantly owe companies money, even after i have stopped using their services, why is everything such a fight?

what happend to insuring your car every year by paying them and signing the renewal form?

am i totally in the wrong here?

thanks for reading :)

max

Large rant!

took our motor ins. out last year with i buy eco, they gave a good quote on go compare, at £469, fully comp for both of us.

renual time in january their quote was aprox £1500! i rang them, long story short we had an open claim from when we reported an accident. they closed the claim for me (as we didnt want to claim anything) then re-did the quote. still amounted to about £1000 for the year, so i told them i wouldnt be using them this year.

I sorted my new policy out with swinton and bobs your uncle!

suddenly start getting email from ibuyeco with my "claims number". this is after my renual date and they have sent no policy docs. so i says to my OH, "lets get the direct debit cancelled, i think they are going to try and take the money"..........direct debit due on the 8th, policy date was the 3rd.

lo and behold they try to take the money and have taken the £4 legal cover a couple of days before :/

this morning i have received a credit agreement from them, for us to sign and send back, if i dont i will incur a £15 charge!

WTF???

i have just got off the phone from them:suspect:

firstly they try to tell me that i need to send the credit agreement back to them (so they can refund us).....thats fine, whats not fine is i have to send a copy of my swinton policy to them, but i agree. (then he realises we have cancelled the direct debit, and they dont have any of our money)

he looks back at my telephone history with them and realises that i did indeed call them in january letting them know i am not renewing.

this is where things get shady........

he now starts telling me there is a cancellation fee and i will have to pay for the insurance between the 3rd and today, and that my husband must ring them TODAY!

when i point out to him that the policy is a yearly policy, that we do not wish to renew, he tells me "its an internet policy, you just print the documents off" and "anyway it's not YOUR policy, your husband needs to call us"

at this point i put the phone down as he was talking to me like i was a child :(

I am sat here now, totally ****** off, as i am sick of companies and their plain underhand practices. i feel i constantly owe companies money, even after i have stopped using their services, why is everything such a fight?

what happend to insuring your car every year by paying them and signing the renewal form?

am i totally in the wrong here?

thanks for reading :)

max

i sold my car last week and my insurance want £140 off me to cancel my insurance!! they are so frustrating!

i sold my car last week and my insurance want £140 off me to cancel my insurance!! they are so frustrating!

Legally I suppose you've breached your contract withe insurers....I would imagine that the costs of cancellation would be in the policy documents you have read..

I know someone who tried changing their car and the insurance company tried doubling the price of the policy - not because of the difference in car, but because "the underwriter for you existing policy has gone out of business and so your no claims bonus is no longer valid". So she responded to say, "but you have evidence that I haven't claimed all year and why didn't you tell me that the underwriter had gone out of business???" Too bad apparently! The OP is completely right, they are a law onto themselves!

Legally I suppose you've breached your contract withe insurers....I would imagine that the costs of cancellation would be in the policy documents you have read..

why have i? it probably is in the documents i will pay the fee but doesnt mean im happy about it. its nt the fee its amount.

why have i? it probably is in the documents i will pay the fee but doesnt mean im happy about it. its nt the fee its amount.

Because you will have signed up for a year's insurance....short term insurance is more expensive..I'm not siding with the company,just pointing out the reality of what happens...put the boot on the other foot..what would you have done if the ins. company had cancelled your policy out of the blue?Would you expect them to honour the policy for it's full 12 months?

This "automatic constant renewal" business really grinds my gears.

Even if you cancel - and have proof you have cancelled - you still find the money taken from you. AA I'm looking at you.

After I didnt renew with Swiftcover, I canceled the direct debit just in case they started playing silly buggers.

Archived