The Art of Letter Writing

Does anyone send letters anymore? When I say letters, I mean a good old fashioned hand written letter, whether it be a love letter, or a letter communicating with a family member or friend.

I love the written word and find it really sad that letters are not often used any longer to communicate. I look back at old letters sent by my ancestors, some dating back to 1900, and feel that is all now lost.

Does anyone send letters anymore? When I say letters, I mean a good old fashioned hand written letter, whether it be a love letter, or a letter communicating with a family member or friend.

I love the written word and find it really sad that letters are not often used any longer to communicate. I look back at old letters sent by my ancestors, some dating back to 1900, and feel that is all now lost.

A friend of mine regularly writes to us - and it is lovely to receive a letter (they also text and send emails too) plus makes christmas and birthdays easy for me too (good stationary!)

I would love to be able to sit down and write a letter, but by the time I get to the second line the only person who can read what I've written is me, and I can only get as far as the second paragraph before having at least 24 hours of rest before I can squeeze another couple of lines out.

I agree, it's not the same thing at all printing a typed letter out and it is lovely to receive a letter, but I'm in the position of not having much choice.

I probably have 5 notebooks all with reach right now, full of daft scribblings and ideas, to do lists and such.

I've used computers for the best part of 20 years professionally, but you can't beat pen and paper for getting ideas down.

There was an interesting program on BBC4 recently about the beauty of diagrams, penmanship is a dying art in general. A shame...

A friend and I regularly write to each other. It's lovely getting a handwritten letter through the post.

Also when I send cards (especially Christmas cards) I always write a handwritten note in it, especially to friends who live a distance away or who I haven't seen for a long time.

At least you write a letter. I only complain via email. I have started to write recently, however, after spending so many years communicating electronically, my handwriting has gone downhill.

There's something more satisfying about a true letter of complaint. The ire and irritation is literally poured in to it - I feel that the peon who gets to reply to my missive then knows exactly how wazzed off I am because I've gone about it in a formal manner.

Archived