Hysterectomy advice needed please!!

Take it really easy for as long as you can afterwards. You'll feel very tired and weak at first. Walking a few yards is tiring. Once you start to get bored with all the leisure time don't do otherwise ordinary things that might harm your recovery - lifting vaguely heavy things like kettles is a big no no. Lots of women end up with tears and have to go back for repair surgery. If you've got good friends or family who can do lots of running around for you - shopping, housework etc - let them do it.

ask if you can speak to your surgeon or anaesthatist beforehand,they can reassure you. Also think of the pro's of having this done & the con's if you don't.

I bet you're up & about around 5 days after!

I did see and speak to my surgeon 4 weeks ago, this was when i was told i had to have surgery. There was lots of questions i wanted to ask, but when i got in there my mind went blank. I go for my pre-op on Tuesday so i will be asking him questions, just hope i don't forget this time round.

I had mine done in september 1998, it was the best op i have ever had.

for the first couple of days you are sore but as someone said you have very good pain relief the danger is once you get home and feel fine and do too much.

you really must take it very easy for about 6 weeks

you will look healed on the outside but it takes a couple of years for the internal scar to heal, was the suction method not an option? i have heard the recovery rate is very quick for this

i had it this time last year and the worst thing i suffered with and they never told you about was wind trapped wind and very bad constipation my friend was also the same i had to take four different kinds of laxatives all at the same time be prepared speak to the hospital before you come home other than that just sit back and let everyone look after you

I had mine done in september 1998, it was the best op i have ever had.

for the first couple of days you are sore but as someone said you have very good pain relief the danger is once you get home and feel fine and do too much.

you really must take it very easy for about 6 weeks

you will look healed on the outside but it takes a couple of years for the internal scar to heal, was the suction method not an option? i have heard the recovery rate is very quick for this

I feel a little bit more positive now Karen having read this post, thank you.

No, the suction was not a option, i'm having the bikini incision unfortunately :mad:

What worries me is that I am hugely overweight which I've heard makes anaesthesia more difficult and so I might not wake up.

Being hugely overweight means it will take more anaesthesia to put you to sleep, which in turns means you'll be more groggy and slower to come back to full wakefulness afterwards. It does not significantly increase the chance of dying under the anaesthetic - which is tiny indeed. In fact for most operations, the risk of dying during surgery is far smaller than the risk of dying from your medical condition if you don't have the surgery.

i had it this time last year and the worst thing i suffered with and they never told you about was wind trapped wind and very bad constipation my friend was also the same i had to take four different kinds of laxatives all at the same time be prepared speak to the hospital before you come home other than that just sit back and let everyone look after you

I will bear this in mind, thanks.

Haven't had your op but have had quite a few others. I tend to stay up the night before so I'm sleepy, and then I usually fall asleep after the pre-med (sedative). The whole process of being put under the anaesthetic is very quick and easy. The anaesthetist will come and talk to you before your operation so that's a good time to ask questions if you're really nervous about it.

Take earplugs so you can sleep afterwards - sleep is the best healer and hospitals can be noisy places. You might feel queasy from the anaesthetic so take some light food you can snack on and something to drink.

Good luck, I hope it all goes smoothly :)

Thank you, I wasn't going to post my concerns on here, but i am so glad i did now :thumbsup:

I had it done in 2004 and believe me it was the best thing i ever had done. I don't miss the monthly curse either. The only down side is not being able to do much after lol, you have to take it easy for about 3 months, not even lift a kettle:hihi:...A word of warning, after the op when the nurses get you to walk about do it because if you dont stand up straight they say the muscles tighten and you could end up walking bent over.....well thats what i was told. Dont worry you will be fine, good luck:thumbsup:

I don't know about hysterectomies but I have actually been in the Hallamshire today at the Theatre Admissions Unit for other gynae surgery.

They were absolutely brilliant, I was taken really good care of even though they had some emergencies to deal with and were really busy. The nurses, docs and anathetists were all really kind and reassuring and made sure I knew exactly what was going to happen and how it would be done.

The unit itself is really, really new, comfortable and clean. My op went really well and I'm feeling much better than I expected.

Sorry I can't tell you anything about the hysterectomy myself but I hope that reassures you a bit about what it will actually be like when you're in there. I can't fault them. But do take some mags, books and possibly some puzzles or something to do because the hanging around is the only thing that's annoying but they can't help that.

I don't know about hysterectomies but I have actually been in the Hallamshire today at the Theatre Admissions Unit for other gynae surgery.

They were absolutely brilliant, I was taken really good care of even though they had some emergencies to deal with and were really busy. The nurses, docs and anathetists were all really kind and reassuring and made sure I knew exactly what was going to happen and how it would be done.

The unit itself is really, really new, comfortable and clean. My op went really well and I'm feeling much better than I expected.

Sorry I can't tell you anything about the hysterectomy myself but I hope that reassures you a bit about what it will actually be like when you're in there. I can't fault them. But do take some mags, books and possibly some puzzles or something to do because the hanging around is the only thing that's annoying but they can't help that.

Glad to hear your surgery went well and your feeling ok. This department is where i have to go at 7am on the morning of my op, thank you for the advise and reasurrance, much appreciated.

Hope you have a speedy recovery, take care and thank you again x

Archived