New wing chun kung fu class, anyone interested?

Hi to everyone,

i have just moved to sheffield and as an experienced student of the direct wing chun kung fu association i will be looking to start a new class soon. everyone with an interest in learning wing chun will be welcome. it is likely the class will be fairly central to sheffield city centre ( i am in the process of negotiating a room). if you are interested get in touch! either through the forum or my email is jblackler23@hotmail.co.uk i will try to answer any of your queries.

my approach to wing chun is very direct and is aimed at being as practical as possible. the class is held in an informal atmosphere.

Hi Joe

a few questions for you if you don't mind:

Will you spend a lot of time practising the forms?

Will you incorporate any fitness work?

Will you include any kind of sparring (I'm not referring to sticky hands when i say sparring)

does the direct wing chun kung fu association have a web site?

thanks

thanks for the questions Anvil.

wouldn't spend ages on the forms. in a two hour class form would probably be practiced for about 20 - 30 minutes. i usually split this between the begining and the end of the lesson to relate practical applications practiced during the lesson to where they are in the form.

the room i have at the moment is quite small so initially fitness wouldn't be emphasised much. however if numbers were increased i would look to get the larger room (there are 2 rooms where i plan to train) which allows for more exercises (eg jogging to warm up, press ups etc). all that said the lesson will focus alot more on actually doing wingchun.

sparring? depends what you mean. in the chi sau and lap sau free attack is practiced which provides the skills (not all of them ) to fight effectively. when a student is good (ish) with regard to lap and chi free then we would wear small gloves head guards and gum shields and have a 'controlled' fight. the idea is for it to be more like fighting rather than point scoring (no offence to competition bouts, an adrimable skill).

check out this web site; directwingchun.co.uk

theres a video clip on there if youv'e got broadband have a look. my class will probably be on a monday evening

the martial art i practice and teach is 'wing chun' it is a practical and direct martial art that advocates straight line attack as opposed to hook punches and spinning back kicks etc, there is alot of short fast continuous punching and kicks usually don't go above the wiast.

Hi Anvil,

You seem to be quite clued up about the local martial arts scene here in sheffield. if you know of any good ways to advertise other than on this forum and via posters maybe you could let me know. cheers

Also i imagine that once i get settled i am going to be looking for somewhere else to train myself. i like to train in a friendly atmosphere but with people who train hard. Possibly westling/ground fighting or something very sparring/fighting orientated.

If anyone has any ideas... thanks.

Hi Joe

You would always be welcome at the AFK kickboxing club.

Our club do classes both at the wellington street boxing gym in the city centre and at the sheffield hallam uni.

http://www.sheffieldkickboxing.com

Farhad (the instructor) is an open minded guy and we have a lot of freindly martial arts guys from different styles training there.

We do a lot of sparring there as well as bagwork and padwork.

Hmmm never sparred a wing chun guy before but as long as you dont be kicking in the groin or fingering in peoples eyes i guess its all cool.

Archived