New wing chun kung fu class, anyone interested?

Hi Joe

I'm sure there's lots of stuff that goes off here in Sheffield that I'm not aware of, but i studied Wing Chun for 2 years (Chu Shong Tin lineage) at the Chinese Community Centre. There's at least one other Wing Chun club in Sheffield (Carlisle Street) and i believe the guy that teaches there is a student of Samuel Kwok (although i could be wrong). I believe that Wong Shun Leung has/had quite a reputation as a fighter, so I'm sure your club will be a welcome addition to the Wing Chun scene.

With regard to advertising, the BJJ club where i currently train as got several members from posts on this forum, as did the Wing Chun club where i trained previously. Other clubs advertise in the Sheffield Star and the Sheffield Telegraph, and as Sheffield as a thriving student population, targeting Universities etc. might be worth while.

In terms of wrestling/grappling, Sheffield has 3 BJJ clubs, 3 Judo clubs, one shootfighting club and several traditional Ju Jitsu clubs. There's also a JKD club that comprises a grappling element.

Sparring (rolling/randori) is central to BJJ - all techniques are practised against a fully resistant opponent. The club i train at is a Royce Gracie Jiu Jitsu Network club, but the time (Monday evenings) might conflict with your plans! (although there a plans afoot for one of our instructors to begin teaching on an additional evening - watch this space). Techniques taught are predominalty groundwork orientated, however there's an increasing amount of time being spent on stand-up techniques as BJJ as evolved alongside NHB competitions.

cheers for all the info.

i am a student at sheffield hallam so i ll probably be down at the kick boxing class when i get my sports membership sorted.

i'm quite interested in the grappling aswell so if a class comes up on another night that would be good. i'll keep an eye out

Hi Joe

why not come down to the boxing gym classes meanwhile?

or for the hallam classes you could always pay on the door.

I do that you see ,paY ON the door but mostly i go to the boxing gym cl;asses. Better equipment , all the bags , boxing ring ,..etc more one on one instructor time which you dont et at many other clubs.

For details on how to find us:

http://www.sheffieldkickboxing.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just to confirm i have a room booked for this Monday (nov 7th) 8 - 9:45/10ish. it is the Millenium Centre on Ecclesall road (it is at the Polish Catholic Club near the tesco metro but on the other side of the road).

if you are interested come along. hope to see some of you there. thanks aswell for all of the replies and feedback. cheers

Joe

Hello,

I am looking for more places to train myself. I started at Ponds Forge when the class there was around. Sifu Phil Jones used to teach there under James Sinclair (I think he started out with Samuel Kwok).

Went to the classes in Carlisle Street ages ago, but tried to go back yesterday and there was no one there :(

Hoping that someone on here knows current training times. If I can make it on Monday I will, I may also bring along a guy from work who used to train with me (he's into Tai Chi now and a bit of Goju-Ryu).

Would you say that your training methods are based on the practical aspects of WC? I can see the value in all aspects of WC training, but see no point in shirking from the ultimate aim in undertaking a martial art-defending yourself.

Cheers!

Cheers for the interest guys hope you can make it this monday.

Practical application of wing chun is my main focus when training. i won't practice a drill if there is no practical value in it.

i also think it is very important to 'test' what you are learning other wise how can its practical value be known. when i say test i mean conditions as close to actual fighting as possible (but still controlled) not just in chi sau.

Originally posted by joeblackler

Cheers for the interest guys hope you can make it this monday.

Practical application of wing chun is my main focus when training. i won't practice a drill if there is no practical value in it.

i also think it is very important to 'test' what you are learning other wise how can its practical value be known. when i say test i mean conditions as close to actual fighting as possible (but still controlled) not just in chi sau.

Sorry - call me dumb, or lazy, or both, but can you confirm times/location/prices for monday?? Thanks

Archived