Homosexuals criminal records to be wiped clean

Tony

There is the opportunity now that homosexuality isn't illegal any more.

But I will not excuse sexual activity in public toilets used by children or other adults.

might not be illegal but the stigma is very much still there and so is the homophobic attacks

might not be illegal but the stigma is very much still there and so is the homophobic attacks

Are you stating that you condone homosexual acts being carried out in public toilets rather than homosexuals meeting in gay bars ot other places that are used by gays and hetrosexuals.

If so I think you are doing homosexual men a great disservice.

I asked Hots on a question earlier, but he didn't seem to want to answer, now it goes out to anyone who thinks that the convictions should not be disregarded.

"Gay people were absolutely in the right to break this law when it existed, the state had no right to dictate to them what they did with other consenting adults.

If you were a gay man, would you have just stayed celibate, or would you have broken the law deliberately?"

Its a bit of a hypothetical question. I don't honestly know. The environment was very different. I'm in my late fifties, so homosexual acts have been legal for most of my life. Most people, and society as a whole, are accepting of it, and have been so as long as I can remember.

However, earlier on, attitudes would have been different. I might have remained celibate, through fear of being caught and being outed. I imagine there could have been big repercusions for some people beyond just the criminal conviction. However, if I had decided to break the law deliberately, either because my need for sex overcame my fear and/or I was so convinced that the law was wrong and I wanted to break it, then I would have accepted that I was breaking the law, and would have had to accept the consequences if I were to be caught.

I asked Hots on a question earlier, but he didn't seem to want to answer, now it goes out to anyone who thinks that the convictions should not be disregarded.

"Gay people were absolutely in the right to break this law when it existed, the state had no right to dictate to them what they did with other consenting adults.

If you were a gay man, would you have just stayed celibate, or would you have broken the law deliberately?"

Im sorry i missed your question, I think I would answer your question by repeating what I said to melthebel in post 58.

Its a bit of a hypothetical question. I don't honestly know. The environment was very different. I'm in my late fifties, so homosexual acts have been legal for most of my life. Most people, and society as a whole, are accepting of it, and have been so as long as I can remember.

However, earlier on, attitudes would have been different. I might have remained celibate, through fear of being caught and being outed. I imagine there could have been big repercusions for some people beyond just the criminal conviction. However, if I had decided to break the law deliberately, either because my need for sex overcame my fear and/or I was so convinced that the law was wrong and I wanted to break it, then I would have accepted that I was breaking the law, and would have had to accept the consequences if I were to be caught.

In January 1952, Turing met Arnold Murray outside a cinema in Manchester. After a lunch date, Turing invited Murray to spend the weekend with him at his house, an invitation which Murray accepted although he did not show up. The pair met again in Manchester the following Monday, when Murray agreed to accompany Turing to the latter's house. A few weeks later Murray visited Turing's house again, and apparently spent the night there.[46]

After Murray helped an accomplice to break into his house, Turing reported the crime to the police. During the investigation, Turing acknowledged a sexual relationship with Murray. Homosexual acts were illegal in the United Kingdom at that time,[47] and so both were charged with gross indecency under Section 11 of the Criminal Law Amendment Act 1885, the same crime for which Oscar Wilde had been convicted more than fifty years earlier.[48]

Turing was given a choice between imprisonment or probation conditional on his agreement to undergo hormonal treatment designed to reduce libido. He accepted chemical castration via oestrogen hormone injections.

Turing's conviction led to the removal of his security clearance, and barred him from continuing with his cryptographic consultancy for GCHQ. At the time, there was acute public anxiety about spies and homosexual entrapment by Soviet agents,[50] because of the recent exposure of the first two members of the Cambridge Five, Guy Burgess and Donald Maclean, as KGB double agents. Turing was never accused of espionage but, as with all who had worked at Bletchley Park, was prevented from discussing his war work.

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Tu...for_indecency]

A brilliant man who probably helped end World War Two went through hideous privations because of a stupid, illogical law.

In January 1952, Turing met Arnold Murray outside a cinema in Manchester. After a lunch date, Turing invited Murray to spend the weekend with him at his house, an invitation which Murray accepted although he did not show up. The pair met again in Manchester the following Monday, when Murray agreed to accompany Turing to the latter's house. A few weeks later Murray visited Turing's house again, and apparently spent the night there.[46]

After Murray helped an accomplice to break into his house, Turing reported the crime to the police. During the investigation, Turing acknowledged a sexual relationship with Murray. Homosexual acts were illegal in the United Kingdom at that time,[47] and so both were charged with gross indecency under Section 11 of the Criminal Law Amendment Act 1885, the same crime for which Oscar Wilde had been convicted more than fifty years earlier.[48]

Turing was given a choice between imprisonment or probation conditional on his agreement to undergo hormonal treatment designed to reduce libido. He accepted chemical castration via oestrogen hormone injections.

Turing's conviction led to the removal of his security clearance, and barred him from continuing with his cryptographic consultancy for GCHQ. At the time, there was acute public anxiety about spies and homosexual entrapment by Soviet agents,[50] because of the recent exposure of the first two members of the Cambridge Five, Guy Burgess and Donald Maclean, as KGB double agents. Turing was never accused of espionage but, as with all who had worked at Bletchley Park, was prevented from discussing his war work.

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Tu...for_indecency]

A brilliant man who probably helped end World War Two went through hideous privations because of a stupid, illogical law.

I totally agree with your post - I don't understand why you quoted my post.

I totally agree with your post - I don't understand why you quoted my post.

Apologies, I meant to say it kind of follows. The actual conviction was always secondary to what you rightly refer to as the other potential repercussions. Disgrace. The outrage of society. Susceptibility to blackmail. The same is true of the absurd laws around divorce where farcical court hearings were heard to prove something or other had taken place.

Once the law starts getting involved in consensual bedroom stuff it loses all credibility.

Archived