Homosexuals criminal records to be wiped clean

Tony

The law on homosexuality was repealed in 1967. Why should not those offences be wiped after what, now, is forty-three years and not merely five?

but I think its the changes in age of consent in homosexuality that have taken place since that are the issue. For instance if someone had been convicted of unlawful sexual intercourse with a 19 year old when the age of consent was 21, then under the new ruling, this conviction could be overturned.

The fact remains that this would be an inverse retrospection of the law which, if it happened the other way around, would cause outrage.

I don't think it would, it certainly wouldn't outrage me. It seems totally fair. What exactly is the problem?

the problem is parliament acting unconstitutionally.

If the law at the time said that sex was unlawful with an under 21 year old then it is right that anybody disobeying that law should have faced the relevant consequences. To use an extreme example, if parliament decided tomorrow that burglary was lawful, would you want to see all burglars released from prison and all former burglars compensated for false imprisonment? Its the same thing.

the problem is parliament acting unconstitutionally.

If the law at the time said that sex was unlawful with an under 21 year old then it is right that anybody disobeying that law should have faced the relevant consequences.

And so they did. Where is the problem in wiping it from their records now, just as so many other minor offences already do get wiped from records?

To use an extreme example' date=' if parliament decided tomorrow that burglary was lawful, would you want to see all burglars released from prison and all former burglars compensated for false imprisonment? Its the same thing.[/quote']No, but only because I would vehemently disagree with the change in the law. If I truly believed that burglary shouldn't be against the law then of course I would want burglars released from prison, that kind of goes without saying.

There was a story last year of a chap who was prosecuted in the 50's (ISTR) for what having sex with a man. He now can't work in any job requiring a CRB because he has a criminal record for a sex offence.

Is that right?

And so they did. Where is the problem in wiping it from their records now, just as so many other minor offences already do get wiped from records?

minor offences dont get wiped off, they may in some circumstances become "spent" but nothing ever gets "wiped" off.

No, but only because I would vehemently disagree with the change in the law. If I truly believed that burglary shouldn't be against the law then of course I would want burglars released from prison, that kind of goes without saying.

so you would have differing opinions of how parliament should act depending on whether or not you agree with the law?

Archived