Mubarak steps down, and hands power to army.

OMG ! Power to the people ! I am so proud of them !

We should all be- done without any violence.

This was no tiananmen square- muslims united in peace for a better change.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen_Square_protests_of_1989

They held prayers and prayed for better things and I hope to see goodness come out of this now.

We should all be- done without any violence.

muslims united in peace for a better change.

you can always spot the overseas Muslims when they make silly posts like that. They always assume that what they think of as 'Muslim countries' like Egypt are 100% Islamic. They either forget or blithely ignore that coptic Christians, who are treated like total **** in Egypt, number between 10 and 20% of the population.

the precise number isn't known because a lot pretend to be Muslims when they are not so as to better their life chances.

good question I suppose.

Wiki has this short military dictatorship list, there's never more than about six countries on it, and it changes (Egypt got put on it yesterday).

about five years ago Mauritania, Thailand and Pakistan were on it. They're not now. Libya has also mysteriously vanished, although I wasn't aware the government had changed all that much. Fiji and North Korea were on it then and are still on it, with North Korea having been in the charts for the longest time.

the most solid lot of former military dictatorships that are now pretty much full-fledged democracies are in Latin America and of course it took years not months.

And here's me thinking that the land belonged to the Canaanites before being taken of them by the Hebrews and kept for themselves

what battles were there then, where this feat of arms happened?

what happened was the Canaanites gradually coalesced into the Israelite nation. By about the 9th century BCE their historical and archeological existence, separate of the Israelites, ends.

this is why you don't read about the Canaanites being conquered by the Assyrians or the Babylonians. They no longer existed as such. They had melded into the Israelite nation, just as the Israelite nation itself was formed by other Canaanite and regional tribes (e.g. the Sashu) coalescing together - likely to confront the Philistine invaders.

Archived