Ebay problem advice needed

I recently sold a laptop on Ebay (£126), the seller claimed we advertised it as DVD rom but it is only CD rom (not true) We advised him to return it for a full refund, he contacted 4 days after to say he will keep it if we give him £70 back via paypal which was the method he used to pay. We refused so he returned it. We received it back this afternoon & he's broke the lid & the sides of the screen. We are now going to have to pay I don't know how much out to get it repaired.

Where do we stand on not giving him the full or part refund back?

I'm sure if he puts a refund dispute in with paypal they will give him his money back.

Anyone had this happen to them before? If so how was it resolved

Been with Ebay 9 yrs, always had 100% feedback & have nearly 800 score but have never experienced this before

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thankyou

I recently sold a laptop on Ebay (£126), the seller claimed we advertised it as DVD rom but it is only CD rom (not true) We advised him to return it for a full refund, he contacted 4 days after to say he will keep it if we give him £70 back via paypal which was the method he used to pay. We refused so he returned it. We received it back this afternoon & he's broke the lid & the sides of the screen. We are now going to have to pay I don't know how much out to get it repaired.

Where do we stand on not giving him the full or part refund back?

I'm sure if he puts a refund dispute in with paypal they will give him his money back.

Anyone had this happen to them before? If so how was it resolved

Been with Ebay 9 yrs, always had 100% feedback & have nearly 800 score but have never experienced this before

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thankyou

Ask ebay to check your advert and if you sold it as CD rom and he has not contacted you to say item damaged then you should take legal advice before giving him anything

are you 100% sure that he has sent you back the same laptop? he may have swapped it for a damaged one, keep on at ebay/paypal, & counter claim against the buyer, for sending back damaged goods that were ok when you sent them and after he received them, as he had the lappy for a couple of days & his only contention was the drive, the other damages are his fault,

by the way dl/dvd/rw drive for lappy average £50, i think you are being conned, but thats only my opinion.

are you 100% sure that he has sent you back the same laptop? he may have swapped it for a damaged one, keep on at ebay/paypal, & counter claim against the buyer, for sending back damaged goods that were ok when you sent them and after he received them, as he had the lappy for a couple of days & his only contention was the drive, the other damages are his fault,

by the way dl/dvd/rw drive for lappy average £50, i think you are being conned, but thats only my opinion.

We kept the serial number & it is the same, he had the laptop delivered last friday & contacted us Sunday, we've got it back today. So he's had it over a week, the drive in it is a DVD rom.

Looking at his feedback today & he's bought 2 more laptops during the week

I think he's conning us too

I think you may find he is going to say it was damaged in the post,and it may quite well have been,ask him for the postage receipt and claim for the damage from the Post Office,its always better to check these things before coming to conclusions about people..whats his feedback,if its high and good then you will probably find it has been damaged in the post.... they do throw goods about you know.

He's only 4.. I'm never selling to anyone again who has less than 10.

He's obviously tried taking the screen out & the part where you screw it back in is now broke so it won't close if you force it to close you will break the top, it was wrapped in bubble wrap & polystyrene & boxed when we sent it to him in come back kinda in the same packaging, but there is no way that could have been damaged in the post. (it was Hermes courier for delivery & collection ) not royal mail

like i said before, get in touch with ebay/paypal, & raise the issue with them, to pursue a counter claim against the buyer, supply photo's etc of the condition that you got it back in, & that you suspect that the buyer swapped the drives etc, your selling record sounds impressive, so it could go some way in your defence.

We kept the serial number & it is the same, he had the laptop delivered last friday & contacted us Sunday, we've got it back today. So he's had it over a week, the drive in it is a DVD rom.

Looking at his feedback today & he's bought 2 more laptops during the week

I think he's conning us too

contact the other sellers to see if they had similar problems with him....

Archived