Ken Clarke --- Middle England no idea of the "calamitous position we’re in"

Interesting interview with Ken Clarke, somewhat blunter than the official government position

Kenneth Clarke: worst of cuts 'has yet to be felt'

The Justice Secretary says David Cameron and the Coalition should brace themselves for serious political “difficulty” when the true impact of the austerity drive is realised.

In a grim assessment of the “calamitous” state of the economy, the former chancellor says he does not envisage “a quick rebound”. This puts him at odds with the Treasury, which believes the return to growth will be swift after the last quarter’s shock fall.

“One reason we’re going to get some political difficulty is that [while] the public knows we’ve got to do something about it, I don’t think Middle England has quite taken on board the scale of the problem."

"I say [they] just don’t realise the calamitous position we’re in.”

LINK

Mmmmm..., “calamitous state of the economy". Of course it was all tip top and hunky dory until May last year. Not a cloud in sight, not a problem to be seen, we wuz all loaded and our houses were like bottomless ATM machines. Quite how Labour lost the election I'll never know. :huh:

"Calamitous". Well I've been saying this on SF for ages, but then, who the hell listens to me?

Doesn't Ken realize that it's just a case of someone pointing the Coalition towards the magic, never emptying "money bin" that pays for everything and the economy will be restored to health again.

Interesting interview with Ken Clarke, somewhat blunter than the official government position

LINK

Mmmmm..., “calamitous state of the economy". Of course it was all tip top and hunky dory until May last year. Not a cloud in sight, not a problem to be seen, we wuz all loaded and our houses were like bottomless ATM machines. Quite how Labour lost the election I'll never know. :huh:

"Calamitous". Well I've been saying this on SF for ages, but then, who the hell listens to me?Doesn't Ken realize that it's just a case of someone pointing the Coalition towards the magic, never emptying "money bin" that pays for everything and the economy will be restored to health again.

Don't forget you haven't got any first hand knowlege on this...none of us have. Your opinion is given you by what you read in newspapers or hear on TV or radio news.

i realised that the UK was in an imminently calamitous position as soon as I heard that the boorish oaf Clarke, who has been wrong on just about everything, had been appointed to the Cameron Cabinet

My sentiments exactly...

My boyfriend and I are locked in a heated debate over whether I count as middle class or not...on the one hand, I have a degree and a profession rather than a job, but on the other hand I'm still struggling to get out of the debt that built up while I was studying and first started working and although I'm extremely frugal I still can't afford anything more than the cheapest possible car and if I go on holiday I can only afford budget flights and campsites/youth hostels. And that's just me, on my own, with no kids to support. I always thought the middle classes had nice cars, holidays in hotels and could afford things like having children...;-)

My boyfriend and I are locked in a heated debate over whether I count as middle class or not...on the one hand, I have a degree and a profession rather than a job, but on the other hand I'm still struggling to get out of the debt that built up while I was studying and first started working and although I'm extremely frugal I still can't afford anything more than the cheapest possible car and if I go on holiday I can only afford budget flights and campsites/youth hostels. And that's just me, on my own, with no kids to support. I always thought the middle classes had nice cars, holidays in hotels and could afford things like having children...;-)

The middle class are not the middle class as they were say 10 years ago.

Many middle class people fall into the same category as you - indeed, think about the people on the minimum wage, there situation is worse than yours.

I personally have chosen not to work for this reason. If I worked, I could not afford a family, car, holidays, a home or other luxurys that are within my reach now I don't work.

People say "well, you should do the right thing etc.... go to work.....pay your way............save for a family...etc" but how long do you do this for? you can wait and wait, and then one day you wake up and you are 40 years old.

YOu got no kids, you can't afford holidays, if you can afford a home its a rubbish one, you drive round in a rubbish car and all this by "doing the right thing"

This situation has been caused by the las labour government - something for nothing, yes its wrong, yes I'm not actually disabled. However, the last government's policys allowed me to have kids (to more than one woman), not work, have a home, have my holidays abroad and enjoy my life without worrrys that so called middle class people get.

The new Government may "make work pay". I can't see it, where are these jobs (the ones that pay enough for someone to afford a home/family) going to come from?

Archived