Ken Clarke --- Middle England no idea of the "calamitous position we’re in"

My boyfriend and I are locked in a heated debate over whether I count as middle class or not...on the one hand, I have a degree and a profession rather than a job, but on the other hand I'm still struggling to get out of the debt that built up while I was studying and first started working and although I'm extremely frugal I still can't afford anything more than the cheapest possible car and if I go on holiday I can only afford budget flights and campsites/youth hostels. And that's just me, on my own, with no kids to support. I always thought the middle classes had nice cars, holidays in hotels and could afford things like having children...;-)

You are lower working class. Like most others.

How about this for a radical idea....their actually a person.

No, you are just a number (your Social Security number), you are a cog in the machine that has a simple repetitive job, having very little autonomy, you do not have a life, you are replaceable

My boyfriend and I are locked in a heated debate over whether I count as middle class or not...on the one hand, I have a degree and a profession rather than a job, but on the other hand I'm still struggling to get out of the debt that built up while I was studying and first started working and although I'm extremely frugal I still can't afford anything more than the cheapest possible car and if I go on holiday I can only afford budget flights and campsites/youth hostels. And that's just me, on my own, with no kids to support. I always thought the middle classes had nice cars, holidays in hotels and could afford things like having children...;-)
You might consider yourself middle class and probably are by todays standards! trouble is......degrees are 10 a penny these days,everyone seems to have one! but they do not carry the same weight as they once did! tbh,you sound like most of us,working class,some well off some struggling.

how does something which is valid on the BBC website become rubbish when it's posted on another website?

I don't know how well you did at school, but the link is from the Daily Torygraph. Is there something you don't understand about that?

Archived