Internet Access as a Right

As we all have libraries in the advanced world, do you believe that the internet should be set up as a free institution for anyone with a computer/smartphone can access it anywhere they want? It's become a well-established tool of research nowadays, so I don't see why not.

Those who don't have a computer can visit a library, which may have computers setup for access.

This may not be possible with the massive debts that the developed countries have (US, UK, Japan, South Korea, etc.), but when the economy recovers it may be possible.

As we all have libraries in the advanced world, do you believe that the internet should be set up as a free institution for anyone with a computer/smartphone can access it anywhere they want? It's become a well-established tool of research nowadays, so I don't see why not.

Those who don't have a computer can visit a library, which may have computers setup for access.

This may not be possible with the massive debts that the developed countries have (US, UK, Japan, South Korea, etc.), but when the economy recovers it may be possible.

The library service in Sheffield does have computers which are free to use. They seem popular in the two libraries I visit.

Free internet access in homes is a little way away ... but perhaps not too far (Except in the UK, where it will be taxed.) :hihi:

Two or three years ago Internet was available in airports and hotels in Europe, the UK and the US - at a price.

I've been in 5 airports this week, in Germany and in the US, and Internet access was free. The 4 hotels I've stayed in during that period also offered free internet connections. The internet is a fact of life.

I have a cell phone (actually, I've got 3 :hihi:) but I don't rely on it. I use a cell phone/mobile phone/handy (depends on the country you're in) for emergencies. I've not managed to adapt to it as a means of incoming communication yet - having owned one for about 15 years. Nor do I have any intention of so doing.

If people ask me how they can contact me, the answer is e-mail. I have an e-mail address which works world-wide and which I check frequently.

If I'm at home (landline) and the phone rings, I might answer it ... or I might not. Depends on how I feel and who's calling. My telephone is there for my convenience, not for the convenience of people who may wish to sell me crap.

If I'm out and my handy rings and I hear it I will probably answer it. Usually I forget it and leave it at home.

Weeks can go by before I find it and if I'm in a car or on my bike, it's turned off anyway. - It's for me to phone other people, not for them to call me.

When I was a child, if you wanted to talk to somebody with whom you were not acquainted, the socially acceptable manner was to write and make an appointment. It worked for my grandparents and it still works for me.

E-mail is an acceptable shortcut.

(My phones are all rigged to provide a recognisable ring tone when family and friends call - others take a chance :hihi::hihi:

Strictly speaking I suppose we can't be given access as a right, as the US government believes that the internet is a US possession.

Who the f are they.

They can not dictate. We are English! Ban them US and share with the Chinese government and our fellow Eurasians.

Archived