Internet Access as a Right

Strictly speaking I suppose we can't be given access as a right, as the US government believes that the internet is a US possession.

Technically it's just a set of open network protocols. We can have our own, just like I have one in my own house.

China has it's own internal internet!

Can you show where the US claims the internet as theirs? The closest I can see is that certain US countries run some of the biggest DNS, but that's not hard to set up here!

The Internet was a much better place 11-17 years ago and now just about every riff-raff has access, pushing their drivel upon others, thinking they have anonymity and therefore can't be touched. Think website is a prime example.

The Internet was a much better place 11-17 years ago and now just about every riff-raff has access, pushing their drivel upon others, thinking they have anonymity and therefore can't be touched. Think website is a prime example.

When there was but a few, there was little to be shared.

Now a man can gain access to information the world over, in multiple formats!

If the US ever enacts the laws that are currently proposed, they will have the power to stop anyone in the world accessing the internet - the proposals to shut it off are total, not just in the US.

So while they don't actually say they own it, I can't see much difference between that and saying "we will control your access to it".

Please show me, I don't think they have a leg to stand on!

Oh absolutely agree - they don't (or rather shouldn't)

Look up "internet kill switch" as that is what the media have been calling it.

While you will find plenty of sources that claim it is hyperbole to say the internet could be switched off, it would certainly be one ability under the proposal, even if that is not it's intended use.

This may of course put me in the unusual position of being the conspiracy theorist :hihi:

Well, I was wanting to see your source...

To me it's absolute twaddle!

Well...

A controversial bill handing US president Barack Obama power over privately owned computer systems during a 'national cyber-emergency', and prohibiting any review by the court system, will return this year.

and...

"We're not trying to mandate any requirements for the entire internet, the entire internet backbone,"

Anything else is out of their control...

That they aren't trying to control the entirety of the internet - i'm trying desperately to find the joe lieberman interview.

The suggestion was that if there was clear evidence of a "terrorist attack" that was to be coordinated via the internet they would shut everything off - it has further been suggested that that is the reason it is to be made lawful "without judicial review" - if it was just basic stuff then this wouldn't be necessary. The new bill also increases it's breadth to include virtually everything to do with computer equipment, and services to do with computer equipment.

All of those articles that i've just read are ONLY on about in the US. Yes it'sd have some effect on the rest of the world, but by the nature of the internet and it's principle underlying design it wouldn't be turned off.

however the rest of the internet would collapse quite quickly because of the way the internet works

No, it wouldn't collapse!

It was designed so that if any part of the network was removed it would still operate!

Here's a nice tube style map of how Europe is connected to each other...

http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/m.dodge/cybergeography/atlas/interoute_large.gif

Note how every European country is connected to two other European countries (except Spain and Italy, but the map is limited). But also note the international connections too...

Archived