Apparantly you need a tv license to have a computer and mobile phone.

Now in that example, i think you're wrong. I believe it is an offence even to own a television capable of receiving a signal, whether you use it or not; whereas if you own a PC, it's only an offence if you actually do watch television on it.

i thought the tv was ok as long as it could be PROVED it DOESNT have anything to give it a signal?

so if theres no boxes, coaxial cable or ariel?

If a TV inspector man comes to your house and is able to bring up a picture of a transmission on the equipment then you will be charged. It'll be up to you to argue your case in court to say you don't use it that way and didn't know you could.

That's easy, just refuse admittance, they have no powers to enter your house, and TV detector vans are an urban myth, there's no such thing.

I was told by a security firm that i couldn't use a TV for my CCTV cameras regardless of if it had an aerial etc. They said that's the reason dedicated CCTV monitors are/were more expenive than TVs even though they are basically the same thing with less capability.

i thought the tv was ok as long as it could be PROVED it DOESNT have anything to give it a signal?

so if theres no boxes, coaxial cable or ariel?

Agreed. The activity that's being licenced is 'receiving a tv signal', you are not licencing the ability to receive a signal.

In practice though, if you had a working tv with and ariel plugged in, but swore you werent using it, no court would believe you. So you need to go as far as you can to show you arent recieving, by removing cables etc. Pcs make this more difficult as its the same set up.

As always, its not really whether you are or are not committing an offense, its whether a court would convict you of it.

Why do some people think think they are different to the rest of us,always finding sneaky ways of getting out of paying the licence fee as though they are special.pay for it like the rest of us,

Read the thread again slowly.

Then re-read your post :loopy:

I stand with what i said thank you.:loopy:

Then I'll explain it to you.

No-one is asking or suggesting or encouraging anyone to break the law by avoiding the TV licence.

We're discussing whether you need a licence if you genuinely do not watch TV (ie you only watch DVDs). In this case you do not need a licence, but you need to ensure you get rid of ariels, cables etc, so that you do not incorrectly get prosecuted for watching TV when you genuinely did not.

Your comment assumes people are unfairly trying to avoid paying.

Archived