Apparantly you need a tv license to have a computer and mobile phone.

Watching TV on the internet

You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands.

Video recorders and digital recorders like Sky+

You need a licence if you record TV as it's broadcast, whether that's on a conventional video recorder or digital box.

Mobile phones

A licence covers you to watch TV as it's broadcast on a mobile phone, whether you're at home or out and about.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's from the TV licensing site - http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/

So if you watch TV on a catch up service like the BBC Iplayer, rather than when it's broadcast on TV, then you don't need a license.

The last time we had someone on the forum making this claim, I posted a link to the story of a woman who'd been prosecuted, convicted and fined for having no licence, despite her having never allowed them in.

She was only prosecuted because she didnt know the rules. I do so i wont get prosecuted.

Every :D

just got my renewal notice for my tv license and apparently you still need 1 if you havent got a tv ..if you are using a computer and some mobile phones possibly i pad or something.oh and some games consoles.how stupid is that..not that if affects me as i will be renewing mine.:)

You only need a TV Licence in this case if you use those devices to watch live broadcast television. Some mobile phones, and all computers can recieve these signals, but if you don't use them then you don't need a licence.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/technology-top8/

Ummm.....im sorry, but i doubt there is anything that people watch on the net is live, as most broadcasts will be a few seconds out. So they will have to re-class what "live" is.

No they won't. "Live television" is what is currently being broadcast. The is no limit for the time taken for the signal to be encoded, transmitted to you and decoded for it to be classed as "non-live". A brand new Freeview box will be able to display a picture several seconds ahead of an old Sky box - that doesn't make the Sky picture non-live. It also doesn't matter if the programme being broadcast is live, as-live or recorded - they're all still classed as being viewed live.

In terms of broadcasting, there are only two type - live and timeshifted. Timeshifted programmes (such as iPlayer / ITV Player / 4OD / Demand Five / Sky Player) do not require a TV licence in order to view them.

Archived