Apparantly you need a tv license to have a computer and mobile phone.

thing is its a lot of hassle to prove you wernt?

on a side note do you get "logged" when buying such items at a shop as you do when buying a telly?

Yes you do - Only found out when a recruitment office I worked at some years ago started getting letters from the TV licensing authorities re a TV that had been bought at that address and we had no TV license... Would have been a temp who had given our office as their address when buying the TV and avoiding having to get a license...

correct,its the bbc we are paying for tbh...the rest of channels are free because they use adverts to pay for our viewing,£150 a year is ridiculous..no wonder some people cant pay for this and decide to opt out paying,but they always catch u in the end.so you end up with a large fine.

I would pay another £150 for the other public broadcasting channel in the UK (Channel 4) to be advert-free. Then they might start showing more innovative and interesting programmes again as they did when they first started up.

With all the new technology they should be able to give you the option of paying for the bbc if you want it, if you don't then you don't pay. Thats the only channel we are taxed on to watch, Sky, Virgin etc are optional if you want them you pay.

yes you need one if your mobile can receive TV via streams. Same for the PC for live Iplayer and sky player etc.

You need one too if your computer has a TV card in it. It's about having equipment that can receive it even if you choose to or not.

How could they ever prosecute someone for being able to watch live Iplayer? They would have to insist anyone with an internet connection should have a TV license which would mean all businesses and institutions in the entire country.

What annoys me about the Iplayer is that even though I pay my UK license fee I still cannot access it from outside of the UK.

If a TV inspector man comes to your house and is able to bring up a picture of a transmission on the equipment then you will be charged. It'll be up to you to argue your case in court to say you don't use it that way and didn't know you could.

He might need to explain first how he got into your house and why he's touching your things, they have no legal power of entry and you definitely don't need to go around unlocking devices for them even if you are silly enough to let them in.

thing is its a lot of hassle to prove you wernt?

on a side note do you get "logged" when buying such items at a shop as you do when buying a telly?

Don't you have to have a TV tuner in your comp to watch live programmes? I can't watch TV on my mobile.

Well im off to watch my tv that i am legally paying for goodnight.:D

You know, there are some people who choose not to have a TV, because they don't think it's worth the money for the product they are getting, and can find other things to do with their time. I know it's a difficult concept to understand for some people.

Thie point of the thread was not about trying to avoid paying for a licence that is needed.

Archived