Apparantly you need a tv license to have a computer and mobile phone.

Don't you have to have a TV tuner in your comp to watch live programmes? I can't watch TV on my mobile.

you can, but a lot more sites are popping up all the time now so you can watch / hear things live more

i was listening to the man u / man city match yesterday on 5 live as it happened (on the puter)

Listening to the radio doesn't require a license though... I've not tried to use a live streamed BBC service, but don't they ask for anything in order to check that you have a license. I know that they won't stream to PC's outside the UK (as determined by IP address allocation).

I've not tried to use a live streamed BBC service, but don't they ask for anything in order to check that you have a license.

No, and there would be no point. If they requested your TV licence number (as often suggested) it would be minutes before loads of websites had the licence numbers posted on them (probably including this very site) in order to allow non-licence holders and people outside of the UK to access the services.

Any form of single use code linked to your licence is probably going to end up costing more money to implement and maintain than the BBC loses in uncollected fees.

I know that they won't stream to PC's outside the UK (as determined by IP address allocation).

That's more down to the fact that they only have the broadcast rights to programmes for the UK. If they allowed people outside of the UK to watch iPlayer, they would have to cough up for the global rights to all programming they broadcast, which is going to be expensive, and not a very good use of the licence fee. While it's basically impossible to block international visitors completely, they do have to take a number of precautions to appease those selling the rights.

So in theory then they've made any PC with an internet connection capable of receiving a broadcast, which probably means that legally anyone with such a device requires a TV license.

No, because it's not owning the equipment which is capable of recieving a broadcast, its actually recieving the broadcasts which is the licencable activity.

I would also imagine it's not particularaly difficult to use the logs on their servers to work out if someone has been accessing the live streams if taken to court with the defence that they only accessed the timeshifted programmes.

Now in that example, i think you're wrong. I believe it is an offence even to own a television capable of receiving a signal, whether you use it or not; whereas if you own a PC, it's only an offence if you actually do watch television on it.

no you definitely don't have to have a licence to own a tv!

• 2 months later...

You only pay tv licence for the BBC so why can you not have the choice of not recieving it in the first place? The BBC are just demanding money by threatning you with a large fines or prison or both about time they abolished the tv licence or give you a choice not to recieve it.

...The BBC are just demanding money by threatning you with a large fines or prison or both ...

And if you go to prison, you will probably have a TV and you will pay 50p a week 'rent' for it.

Which won't cover the licence fee - and you won't have a licence.

But they can't send you to prison for that ... because you're already there.:hihi::hihi:

You only pay tv licence for the BBC

Incorrect. You pay a TV licence in order to recieve broadcast television, regardless of source or method. This is under the same regulations as all other radio transmission / reception equipment (with the sole exception of specifically exempt equipment on specifically exempt frequencies).

It just happens that the funds raised from the licence fee are then given to the BBC rather than the treasury.

Archived